Sunday, 10 October 2010

Diets and change

Having just spent four days on a CPD (Continuing Professional Development) course on Eating Disorders, I've been trying to put some of what we learned into practice for myself.  There were so many interesting ideas and techniques, as well as loads of fascinating, sometimes shocking information.

One of the things the course leader suggested which really struck me was the importance of learning *how* to change our patterns.  She also said that the first step towards change is always the hardest.  Therefore, why make that step in the area that is emotionally hardest?  Instead, we were encouraged to choose one thing to do different, be it wearing our watch on the opposite hand to normal, wearing odd earrings or socks, not brushing our hair or changing our parting, having a different morning drink, getting up on the other side of the bed, taking an alternative route to work - whatever we felt was manageable for us.

It was quite amazing how powerful something so small can be!  And also, how what one person chose and was happy with was unthinkable for another.  I also loved hearing how people felt about the exercise.  I wore odd socks for the first time in my life, and felt a bit of a rebel though the person next to me said she couldn't tell the difference ;-D  Some people felt completely lost with their watch on the "wrong" wrist, and one person was horrified that someone could sleep on the "other" side of the bed.

So, would you like to be more flexible in your approach to life?  If so, why not start with a small step?  I'd love to hear what you make of it...

Image "Pippi Longstocking" courtesy of lasplash.com

12 comments:

  1. I think this is so fascinating! I love the idea and I plan to start tomorrow morning first thing by walking around the lake clockwise. I have been walking around it counter-clockwise for six years. Every morning. Wow! I'll post later and let you know how it felt.

    Thanks for sharing about this.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Barbara :-)
    Six years walking counter-clockwise! Isn't it funny how we get stuck in our habits? Not that they are bad, but sometimes that we no longer even think about what we are doing or why. I'd love to hear how it went ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Inner Whispers, I loved this post! I think it's a great idea, it stops one getting into a rut and being rigid in a routine - I'm going to try it out!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post! Today, I am wearing miss-matched socks for the first time since I was a kid.

    First there was the choice of to totally miss-match patterns and colors or one solid and one patterned, and so on... I really had to think about it. My choice was matching patterns, but miss-matched colors.

    They are on my feet, but I am still feeling a bit of resistance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was half-way around before I remembered! Foiled!

    So, after the walk, I dropped of the dog, changed to my running things adn ran around the lake...clockwise. It was fine. Nothing too strange or revelatory, so I'll try something else.

    I'm afraid to try the sock thing, because I am afraid I might love it and never wear matched socks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving what you're all trying!

    Helen - Can't wait to hear what you come up with, and how it feels...

    Terri - The patterns/colours dilemna was a step further than I'd thought of :-) Did anyone notice or comment?

    Barbara - Good luck with attempting something else to see if it brings anything up. Maybe you're just super flexible in outlook, but just have some habits because it's easier not to have to think about everything.

    So, how about stepping it up to the yes-no challenge (see next post)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I decide to change the way I check rooms before I go to bed - I always usually start at the same room and work my way through, so this week I have started randomly and I found it wasn't too much of a change for me at all. But then I am not a rigid type of person and can be flexible so I guess that stands to reason.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Helen,

    Hmm, checking rooms in a different order was easy, was it? I wonder, could you not check them at all for a change? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried that last night! I was so tired I didn't care LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Helen,

    Ah yes, another way to beat down our own defenses - tire them out LOL Have you had a look at the yes-no exercise in the next post? Might help you decide if you're flexible enough already or to find some more challenging but doable changes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm enjoying reading your old posts on food. I need to change my relationship to food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi MM,

    Glad you're getting something out of the archives. Our relationship with food is so often problematic. I think a lot of it is about being open to experimenting, and not getting into a deprivation mind-set - "I've had a tough day, I deserve a treat". Not that you don't deserve a treat, but you deserve to do something good for yourself, and that may not involve eating. Anyhow, hope you find useful stuff in here.

    Hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete