Saturday, 13 November 2010

What's your magic number?

Almost every woman has one.  A magic number.  That number in your head of your ideal size or weight.  It might be measured in pounds or stones or kilos, in dress size or in inches or centimeters.  But most women have one, a magic number in their head: "If I was that size, my life would be great, or at least better."

The weirdest thing is that it's so specific.  It could be 9 stone 2, but not 9 stone 3 or 9 stone 1.  Why 59 kilos, rather than 58?  If you have a magic number, take a moment to think about "Why that number in particular?"

I know part of my "reason" for that particular number is to do with official BMI tables and government sponsored ideas of my ideal weight, as told to me by my doctor.  And that's not really as rational as it sounds, given that everyone has their own personal set weight range which their body will try to keep them within, influenced by genes, body make-up, age, and dieting history.  Yes, dieting history.  If you've dieted a lot in your life, your body compensates by raising your set weight range.

Another factor in my magic number has to do with my history, with my life experiences and how they track with my weight.  This still probably isn't very helpful.  After all, what was good for me when I was in my twenties and single is probably not entirely relevant to me coming up to age 40 and after having given birth.

So, if you have a magic number, have a think about how realistic it is, and about what it's based on, and whether it serves you to have that number in your head, or whether it just makes you feel worse about yourself.

I chose the Magician card for this post because he represents bringing thoughts and wishes into reality.  Another part, though, is choosing your desires wisely before you apply the full power of your intent.  After all, what's really important in life?

Image: The Magician from the Initiatory Tarot of the Golden Dawn.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to be a size 12 again, but it's just not going to happen, so I've settled for being the healthiest ME that I can be.

    Booze splurges notwithstanding, of course :-)

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very wise, Ali, well, other than the booze splurges lol. So, what was going on in your life when you were a size 12, or is there no particular reason for that choice?

    ReplyDelete