Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Positive thinking and health

I've been reading Andrea Albright's book "Amazing Body Now".  One interesting thing that she talks about is her notion of there being four pillars that support us in becoming healthy: the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual.

Firstly, this fits well with some interpretations of the four tarot suits: Pentacles/Earth for the physical, Cups/Water for the emotional, Swords/Air for the mental, and Wands/Fire for the spiritual.  Although I normally see the Majors as being more about spirit, and Wands being about values and action, I can also see the idea of Wands representing our spiritual path expressed in the everyday precisely through our actions, and guided by our values.

The second connection I made was to a reading I did near the end of last year - the Go For Your Goal Spread.  My goal was weight loss, precisely what Andrea writes about, and in the position of what will help me commit emotionally to this goal I got the Four of Rods (Wands).  From the Hezicos Tarot, the particular image shows a house filled with love, supported on four columns.  Seeing the body as a temple, the home of spirit (Wands), this can also be interpreted as; by seeing my body as something to love, and by supporting myself through these four pillars, I will help myself commit to the goal of losing weight.

Because this is one of Andrea's claims, that by focusing on becoming healthy through all four planes not only will we become happier, more flexible people, but as a side-effect we will lose weight.

In support of these goals, her first suggested step is to increase our self-acceptance by watching our thoughts, and whenever we notice self-attacking or negative thoughts, consciously creating an affirmation or positive thought.  So, I've decided to do a daily draw and use the card to inspire affirmations for each day.  By having a beautiful card image and one or more positive affirmations posted on my blog where I can look at them throughout the day, I hope to support myself in thinking more positively.  And I hope these images and affirmations may serve to bring a happier attitude to others, too.

There will certainly be a challenge here.  Not all tarot cards lend themselves easily to an affirmation, though James Ricklef has been doing a marvelous job with his new "Spiritual Message of the Day" blog series.  Some readers see certain cards as being "negative", but I have always believed that there is both a dark and a light side to every card.  So, I will try to find that light side in whatever card I draw.

However, starting with something easy, here are some affirmations for the Hezicos 4 of Rods:
My body is a temple that I transform through love.
I support myself on every level.


Image from the Hezicos Tarot by Mary Griffin.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant, darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's the first time I'm working with tarot-based affirmations, and I'm looking forward to it. Do you use affirmations?

    ReplyDelete