Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Beware, here be dragons!

Today's card from the Wizards Tarot by Corinne Kenner and John Blumen is Strength. 

This is often one of my favourite cards in any deck and this version, though rather different in its imagery, is delightful.  Here we meet the Professor of Familiar Creatures.  She stands in a flowing, off-the-shoulder gown, wearing a crown of flowers, and feeds what looks like a dragon, though the book tells us it is a wyvern.  The wyvern seems young and tame: this may be my prejudice, though, as I imagine grown dragons to be larger - able to carry a person with ease.  In the book, Corinne says that wyvern's are dangerous and sense fear, so the Professor stays calm and composed.  Nevertheless, I see the wyvern's scorpion-like tail wrapped around the woman as though in an embrace, and she strokes its nose as she gives it something to eat.  While Corinne attributes the ruby-red heart brooch on her dress to the sign of Leo, I see it more reflecting that she is brave of heart, and also loving and giving.  She is able to tame these beasts because she truly loves them, rather than controlling them through fear.


I am grateful for the times when I can deal kindly with my own dark side.


I am thankful for the reminder to deal lovingly even with people who I am afraid of or find difficult.

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much I love your interpretations of the cards! Could I include them on the Wizards Tarot website?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corinne,

    Wow, thanks, glad you like them. So long as they're attributed to me, I'd be honoured.

    Chloe

    ReplyDelete