Saturday, 12 March 2011

Daily Draw Gratitudes The Emperor

For this week's daily draws I  have chosen the New Mythic Tarot by Juliet Sharman-Burke and Liz Greene.  This is the later edition, illustrated by Giovanni Caselli, rather than the original from the late '80's.  The deck uses Greek mythology to illustrate traditional RWS meanings of the cards.  However, while the Majors depict different Greek gods and godesses, the suits each illustrate one particular story from Greek mythology.  Thus, the suit of Wands tells the tale of Jason and the Argonauts, and their quest for the Golden Fleece, Cups is Eros and Psyche and their tumultuous romance, Swords introduces the saga of the House of Atreus and its troubled son Orestes who has to deal with a curse placed upon his family, and the suit of Pentacles shows Daedalus, the craftsman behind the Cretian labyrinth that held the Minotaur, in his struggles to create and gain in wealth and renown.

The first card I drew from this deck is the Emperor.  Here we see Zeus on top of Mount Olympus, resplendent in a regal purple tunic.  In his right hand, the hand of action, he holds a lightning bolt, symbolising power, but also the flash of inspiration Meanwhile, in his left hand he holds a globe, expressing his dominion over, but also nurturing of, the entire world.  On his left shoulder sits an eagle, gazing out on the world.  Zeus resides on mountain tops, representing lofty ideals and spiritual seeking.

Overall, I have to say this is a very favourable take on Zeus.  From other sources, I remember him going around turning into various animals and birds so he could have his way with unsuspecting nymphs and queens.  Their being virgins or married never bothered him any.  I guess this is the shadow side of this card: abuse of power and a feeling of entitlement.

In terms of personal associations, when this card refers to me I see it representing needing to plan and be structured about my projects.  I also associate it strongly with my son.  It came up in a reading I did before he was born, and several times since, and seems appropriate.  He has taken over our home and our lives, and is very determined and willful (he's a Capricorn, too).

My gratitudes based on this card are:


I am grateful for the supportive structures in my life.


I am thankful for the little tyrant who rules my life and home (my son).

I am grateful for the moments of inspiration followed by days, weeks and months of bringing that inspiration to fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment