Tuesday, 26 April 2011

Beauty and the Beast

Today's card from the DruidCraft Tarot is Strength.  This beautiful deck is illustrated by Will Worthington, authored by Stephanie and Philip Carr-Gomm, and published by Connections Books.

A proud, brave woman stands in a meadow.  To the left of the card, position of the past, a dagger lies on the floor, discarded, not needed.  To the right, a boar twines around her leg, and she runs her fingers through his fur.  I have often read how vicious and powerful boar can be, having brought down many a huntsman in times of yore.  I find boar more frightening than wild cats, which for me always have the association with our feline friends though I know a lion would sooner eat me than have his tummy stroked.  So, this image really captures that sense of taming something wild and frightening, powerful and independent.

She wears a golden dress and a red cape, suggesting to me her groundedness and connection with the past and with what she wants from life.  Red for the muladhara chakra at the root of the spine, connecting us to the earth and to our ancestors, a source of life and sense of security.  Yellow for the solar plexus chakra (manipura) where we digest what is happening to us, choosing what suits us and what doesn't - following our guts.  In touch with these, balanced, she is able to make peace with base instincts, to use their energy creatively rather than destructively, giving her amazing strength. 

I am grateful for the strong women in my life who act as powerful role models of how to be in the world.


I give thanks for my own strength and sense of ease with myself and my life.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very fond of this card, well, this deck actually. I love that she is exposing and pointing to her heart by the way she holds her cape.

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali,

    How interesting, I didn't pick up on that at all. So, being willing to bare your heart, to allow yourself to be vulnerable, also being a sign of strength? Or how do you interpret that?

    I'm loving re-connecting with this deck, which has been on the back-burner for a while. It really is beautiful and so full of symbolism!

    Cx

    ReplyDelete