Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Love and Death

Drawing still from the Rumi Tarot by Nigel Jackson, today's card is Judgement - and not either the 2 of Cups, the Lovers or Death, as might have been supposed from this post's title ;-)

The reason I chose it, though, was due to the quote on this card.  This strikes me in two very different ways, depending on the perspective from which I take it.  One is the idea that we keep alive our dead loved ones through our loving memories of them.  This certainly fits well with attachment theory's view of mourning, where the suggestion is that we never completely let go of someone we have loved, but that we create a new attachment to the memories of them, and that this is perfectly healthy.  This is as opposed to Freud's view that we must "kill" the dead and detach ourselves from them entirely!

The other idea that springs to my mind is of people who feel deadened, numb, detached from life.  The suggestion then would be that it is through love that they can once again feel alive.  The question this raises is whether they must love, be loved, or both.  My guess would be that any experience of love would work.

So, how does all of this relate to traditional interpretations of the Judgement card?  I often see Judgement representing hearing a calling of some kind - vocational, or spiritual - to make changes in our lives.  However, the fact that the one doing the calling is often an angel with a trumpet also raises the notion of angelic love.

Whether we find love through the divine, or through a passionate interest in something or someone, this love makes us feel more alive, and can take us to a different dimension of life.


I am grateful for the love in my life.


I am thankful that I feel passionate about much that I do.

4 comments:

  1. This is the first I've seen the Rumi deck - looks like a really lovely deck. I like what you said about the Judgement card being about a calling and agree with you about the angelic association. Whenever I see this card, I remind people that divine guidance is always available and that their guardian angel is hoping to connect with them. Also like what you said about this card relating to people who are numb or deadened to life. Thanks for sharing your interpretations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, Judgement is more usually associated with not being able to sit on the fence any more, standing up and being counted for what you believe in.

    Hmmm - actually, that's not that different from this deck's card after all! Having passion/love for something it's what keeps us vital and alive.

    How do you like working with a deck with so much wording on it?

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara,

    Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts :-) It feels very positive and supportive the way you help your clients connect to divine guidance, and I can definitely see that in the Judgement card. I'd be interested to know if you use angel cards, too?
    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ali,

    Interesting, I never thought of Judgement in terms of standing up to be counted! I can see that perspective, too, though I more normally think of it as being about taking things to a different level. As you say, perhaps there's a connection in that what you believe in passionately will lead you to both be willing to fight for it, and also to follow it no matter that it leads outside of your comfort zone.

    In terms of working with a deck with so much wording, I originally got it planning to draw a thought for the day. This is the first time I've actually done that, and I think it works very well. However, I can imagine it being a bit distracting in a client reading. As for email readings, it would have to be one where the querent seemed open to spiritually focused interpretations...

    Cx

    ReplyDelete