Wednesday, 27 April 2011

This is the End

Today's card from the DruidCraft Tarot is the Ten of Swords.  This deck, illustrated by Will Worthington, was authored by Stephanie and Philip Carr-Gomm, and published by Connections Book Publishing.  As well as its beautiful imagery, the deck incorporates celtic druid symbolism including mythology and plant lore.

However, the differences to traditional Rider-Waite-Smith imagery are less apparent on this particular card.  A man lies face-down, slumped over a hillock, with ten swords piercing his back.  To his sides lie a shield and helmet, leaving him unprotected, though his right hand still holds a broken stave.  Above him is a dark cloud, but a bright new day seems to be dawning in the distance.

This card reminds me that sometimes it is necessary to accept endings, to let go of hopes and fears, habits and expectations, and be vulnerable to whatever will follow.  While this may often feel terrible in the moment, I am comforted by the lack of blood from the man's wounds, and the dawn in the background.  Endings are rarely as painful and annihilating as we fear, and once something has left there is room for the new.

I also seem to be back to a musical turn of mind:



I am grateful for the ability to let go of the old.


I give thanks for the phase in my life that is ending - good riddance!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chloe – thanks for another interesting post! I’d seen this card as one for ‘melodrama’...but moving from that to the idea that there can be a liberation in hitting rock bottom (or thinking you have) and realising that the only way is up. I’m liking your expansion on this – the necessity to accept endings (and see the new beginnings they present), the importance of being vulnerable, the understanding that things are not as bad as they seem. It is an oddly comforting card isn’t it! I suppose in this sense it's not unlike The Tower - whilst The Tower represents the catastrophe and destruction, the Ten of Swords is the 'victim' lying in the rubble. Time to dust yourself off, let go of the old hurts, and move on, empowered by those old lessons.
    Little Red xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Little Red!
    Yes, I know what you mean about the drama queen aspects of this card - talk about overkill. Different days, different aspects come to the fore, though, so maybe I'm just in a place where I need to think about endings and change... I totally agree that there's a similarity to the Tower. I normally see the Tower as being more about something external happening, while the Ten of Swords may often be about more internal processes. Still, I like your image of the Teno of Swords being the victim lying in the Tower's rubble - very poetic ;-)
    Chloe xx

    ReplyDelete