Friday, 15 April 2011

Who does it hurt?

For the last draw with the Rumi Tarot by Nigel Jackson (Llewellyn Publishing), I am confronted by the Five of Swords.

In the little tableau we see a man deep in meditation, seeming almost to levitate.  Around him are five turbaned figures with knives raised to stab him, but the central figure seems not to be aware of them.  I think the Rumi quote on this card can be taken two ways.  Firstly, when we attack the divine in whatever form, we hurt ourselves.  When we refuse faith in something beyond ourselves, and the unity of life, for example, we impoverish ourselves.  Secondly, when we attack others, ignoring the divine within them, we also hurt ourselves.  This latter suggestion may seem somewhat less obvious, but as James Ricklef has pointed out in a recent post, negative emotions beget negative emotions, and when we feel angry it embitters us, even if the person towards whom our anger is directed is unaware of it.

I am grateful for the compassion I receive from others, reminding me to practice compassion in my turn.


I am thankful to be able to let go of negative emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment