Wednesday, 20 April 2011

You Raise Me Up

For today's card I drew Judgement from the Pearls of Wisdom Tarot by Roxi Sim and Caelli Fullbrite, published by 7th House.  I'm really enjoying this colourful deck, which combines runes along with traditional and non-traditional tarot symbolism.

In Judgement we see a female angel in purple throwing flowers to a woman in pink who seems to have been dead, but who is raised back to life by the angel.  In her new, enlivened form the woman has access to the wisdom and clarity of her third eye, as does the angel.  Three small candles and three large candles, symbols of the goddess, illuminate the scene, as does the moon and three stars.  To either side of this tableau, we see the runes perthro (dice cup - linked to the notion of karma and divination, time and synchronicity) and berkano (birch/goddess - the earth mother/the cycle of life and ideas of spiritual rebirth).

I like this non-Christian approach to the idea of Judgement or Rebirth (as this card is often re-titled).  The sense of a spiritual awakening is very apparent to me, and once again the runes seem well chosen to echo the traditional tarot symbology.  Whether we think in terms of guardian angels or our higher self, I sense here a call to see beyond the mundane, to be raised to a place of greater insight, even if only into what our direction in life should be.  As suggested by the rune perthro, if we listen to spirit we can divine what the best path for us is, one that will fulfill us and lead to greater creativity and connection with the universe (berkana).  While I also like the imagery of an angel with a horn - that sense of hearing a calling appeals to me - this image where we are literally being moved also speaks volumes. 

I am grateful for times when I feel a sense of direction and purpose in my life.


I am thankful for the people who lift my spirits and guide me.

No comments:

Post a Comment