Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Convention

On this fourth day drawing from the Fantastic Menagerie Tarot, created by Karen Mahoney and Alex Ukolov, with book by Sophie Nusslé, published by Magic Realist Press, the card drawn was the Eight of Swords.

I think this card is an excellent depiction of the Eight of Swords mentality.  With her hands bound by convention, and wearing fashionable clothes even if they are uncomfortable and don't suit her, the giraffe tries to fit in.  This may mean she is accepted by the "Jones'", but will she be happy if she isn't true to herself?

I am grateful that I am no longer controlled by my need to fit in with others.


I am thankful that I can find people who accept me for who I am.

4 comments:

  1. Yes this image fits very well with the idea of fitting in doesn't it. Being 8 of swords it talks about how we allow our mind to trap us into thinking one way when really we need to understand it is how we use our thoughts that trap us. That need to be accepted, to fit in, I'm sure all of us have experienced that some where in our lives.

    I like very much your positive affirmations here. I would like to add one more if I may.

    I am grateful that I have to courage to be myself and to allow others to be who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen,

    Very nicely put, "it is how we use our thoughts that trap us." I also love your gratitude! It's true that it takes courage, and also the importance of showing the same respect to others.

    Thanks for your comment :-)
    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, yes, thanks Chloe and Helen - this post puts an interesting new slant (for me, anyway!) on the Eight of Swords. At first I thought about this being something we experience a lot as teenagers...but then realised that feeling of trapping ourselves within others' expectations and roles for us can happen much more subtly. It made me stop and think about the few ways this could actually be something in my life right now, even though I think of myself as free from all that stuff.
    LR xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Little Red,

    I know what you mean about teenagers being especially prone to this, but it's something I think is pretty hard to kick. It makes me think of that poem: "When I am old, I shall wear purple" which talks about all the things we don't do because we feel people won't approve. I find myself ever freer of these as I get older, but there's still loads of things I feel very self-conscious about!

    Because we're social creatures, I think it's very hard to completely let go of this. After all, living together, whether in the same house or simply the same city, does require some give and take, some compromise, and we adapt to this by internalising the expectations of us.

    Anyhow, glad the post and comments gave you some food for thought :-)
    Cxx

    ReplyDelete