Sunday, 8 May 2011

Here Comes the Sun!

Today's draw from the Fantastic Menagerie Tarot by Karen Mahony and Alex Ukolov (published by Magic Realist Press) is the Sun!

I adore the cheerful-looking rooster who looks to be jiving away, standing in the crook of a branch on a tree stump.  He looks like a dandy in his bright blue waistcoat that contrasts with his red tail feathers and wattle, and his golden wings.  Above him dances a circle of dragonflies.  In the distance we see a farmstead, and a more traditional rooster (no waistcoat for this one).  The sky is light, but not yet fully sunny, suggesting the dawn.

There's a real sense of happiness, of a new day dawning on a world of possibilities in this card.  A feeling of joy, that desire to sing just because you're alive.

I am grateful for being alive.


I am thankful for the joy in my life.

3 comments:

  1. I love that card, that Rooster or Cock is making sure he is not just heard but seen as well. A symbol of a new day dawning. In the Penguin book of Symbols it tells us that the Cock "counter acts the evil influences of darkness." Apparently as well the Cock is a symbolism of Christ- solar symbolism referring to light and resurrection.

    I think your two gratitude quotes are very apt for this visual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen,

    Thanks for the information on cockerel symbolism. It makes sense, I guess, that he counteracts the darkness, being so associated with the dawn. Personally, though, I think real-life cockerels are a bit evil - or at least extremely territorial! Having been attacked by one as a child (and even then I was WAY bigger than him, but that sure didn't stop him) I prefer the picture to the reality ;-D

    ReplyDelete