Sunday, 29 May 2011

Love Letters

For this second day pulling from the Anna K Tarot, I received the Eight of Wands.

Interestingly, in some cards in the new edition of this deck Anna has removed the human figures (notably in the Star and the Sun cards).  Here, however, in a change to traditional iconography a human element has been added.  The wands (titled Rods by Anna), are very static, forming a barrier between the woman and the world, perhaps providing safety, but certainly restricting her ability to move.  Nevertheless, she stretches beyond her own limits to receive a message from outside.  Messengers travel quickly, by horse, with the implication of movement and speed in the fact of receiving a message.  This also fits traditional associations of this card with love letters.  What I see today, though, is the idea of not letting all the projects in your life get in the way of communicating with others.


I am grateful for the internet, which allows me to stay in touch with friends and family both near and far in the blink of an eye.

This card also made me think of this Golden Oldie:

2 comments:

  1. "What I see today, though, is the idea of not letting all the projects in your life get in the way of communicating with others."
    Great interpretation - I've been pondering this card myself. Perhaps the message will help her undertand which 'project' to focus on - like you say, it's easy to get involved in so many things (8!!) that we lose our direction/feel trapped.
    LR xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like that idea, LR - listening for messages to help clarify your situation and move you forward. That chimes well, too, with more traditional notions of the 8 of Wands with rapid movement, preferably with a clear focus ;)
    Cx

    ReplyDelete