Monday, 27 June 2011

Female Atlas?

For this third day with the Shadowscapes Tarot, by Stephanie Pui-Mun Law and Barbara Moore, published by Llewellyn, I drew the Ten of Wands.

The first thing that struck me today about this card is the fact that, unlike Atlas, she isn't just carrying a huge weight, rather it is actually a part of her.  This says something to me about the different ways that we can shoulder responsibility.  We can take it on and feel worthy, or resentful, or we can feel like the projects we espouse are an integral part of ourselves.  This doesn't mean that we can't also sometimes feel overwhelmed by them, just that we can still own and honour them, even so.

The second thing I noticed is the beauty of what she carries - it feels both created and yet organic, elegant and natural.  At the centre is what looks like a blue, stained-glass window.  This reminds me that it is important to create beauty as well as functionality.  I think this is one of the reasons why I love tarot cards.  They can be used in so many ways - for meditation, divination, brain-storming, creative inspiration - and they can also be incredibly beautiful!

I am grateful that I love most of the burdens I carry.

No comments:

Post a Comment