Friday, 10 June 2011

Grape Crushing

The last day with the Lo Scarabeo Tarot by Mark McElroy and Anna Lazzarini, I drew the Three of Cups. 

As with most of the cards in this deck, the Rider Waite Smith influence is very apparent.  Three women dance together.  Instead of raising cups, they hold flowers and grapes, and underfoot they crush grapes as they move, the juices staining their feet and dress hems.  The front of the huge bowl they stand in is decorated with three cups - a simplified version of the Marseille card.  The link to the Thoth is in the grapes themselves, which in that deck form the body of the cups.

What I notice about this card is the fact that a card that normally signifies friendship, joy and celebration, here is depicting people working.

I am grateful for the times when I can work with friends so that it feels more like play.


I am thankful for the wonderful friends I have made through teaching yoga.

2 comments:

  1. And 'womens work' no less, she said dryly... I'll bet it takes weeks to get that grape stain out of the skin :)

    I have a yoga retreat coming up the end of the month, can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet you wouldn't need a pedicure for a month, though. Think of all that goodness seeping into the skin...

    Hope you have an amazing time on retreat!

    ReplyDelete