Friday, 24 June 2011

Svengali!

So, last night my Dear One took me to see Derren Brown's latest show, and it was magnificent!  Right at the start he asked everyone in the audience please not to talk about what happens, and I thoroughly respect that.  No spoiler alerts here :)

What I will say, however, is that the man is a consumate showman, and extremely good at what he does.  I love the way that, as a sceptic, he shares with the audience some of how he achieves these feats.  And yet we still all sat there amazed at his insight, perspicacity, and just the sheer detail he managed to come up with in "reading" people.

There was also a section of what was basically hypnosis, and my Dear One decided to try it to see if he was suggestible.  I think I could have told him it wouldn't work - his wandsy sense of values melds with pentacley stubbornness and practicality, not the right mix at all for going along with others and allowing his unconscious to take over his mind and body!  Still, he delighted in Derren's turns of phrase, and wasn't disappointed at not having to go up on stage to take part in the show.

As for Derren Brown himself, he seems so down-to-earth and real. Using "mistakes" to make himself seem fallible, and pretending to be flustered and swear, it turns out to all be part of the plan.  Despite the fact that it must be rehearsed, it does make him seem approachable and human, and goes very well with his cheeky charm.  As well as being a Magician, he has a bit of the Devil in him: bamboozling, drawing out your deepest, darkest secrets, mocking you, but all in a way that makes you want him to do it some more!

As the show drew to a close, we couldn't believe that it was over already - not that it was short, just mesmerising :D  If anyone has the chance to see this show, either live or on DVD, I'd highly recommend it.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here is a clip of him at a charity event:



Illustrations: The Magician from the Gay Tarot by Lee Bursten and Antonella Platano, and The Devil from Ciro Marchetti's forthcoming Gilded Tarot Royale.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! How cute that you call your significant other 'Dear One'...so fun! I've never heard that...it's much more original than 'honey' which is overused.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MM,

    Yes, it was a lot of fun :) As for my Dear One, I don't normally call him that, but it just seemed dull to call him my DH, plus the fact we're not actually married... I guess DH could be Dear Heart... ;)

    ReplyDelete