Saturday, 18 June 2011

Twin Wedding?

This week I will be drawing from the Arcus Arcanum Tarot, by Hansrudi Wascher, published by AG Müller in Switzerland.  The first card of the day is the Eight of Wands.

Straight away we are faced with something quite different to traditional iconography, which is the case in most of the pip cards in this deck.  Two women who look like they could be twins stand facing us, holding two cabers each (no wands, these, but poles of wood taller than a person).  Facing the women, with their backs to us, are four men.  Two likewise could be twins, from their clothes, hair and postures, while the other two, further from the women, look clearly different.  Each man holds a caber, too.  All six stand in the middle of a broad path that runs between avenues of trees, making this an extremely woody card.  In the foreground are what I think are poppies - my flower lore is not what it could be, so if I'm wrong I'm happy to be enlightened...  Poppies symbolise sleep, death, and resurrection after death, but are also used in Puerto Rican weddings.  The image here does strike me as a bit like a wedding of twins - or maybe part of a barn-raising after the fact.  Certainly a meeting of soulmates - connecting with traditional associations of the Eight of Wands with arrows of love.

Another thing this brings to mind is Jung's ideas about the animus and anima - these women seem to draw me forward, encouraging me to get moving and do something.  They carry two cabers each, suggesting providing the resources to create something.  In this sense, there is another connection with more traditional Eight of Wands ideas of projects moving quickly.  Overall, though, this card makes me think that if you want to build something quickly, you sometimes feel like you need to double yourself up to get more done.


I am grateful for times when I get a lot done.

2 comments:

  1. might be just a cartoon flower, but it looks like Anemone to me, they are early spring. The whole view brings to mind some Litha rituals, but maybe just because its on my mind.
    Sharyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I saw it more as the invitation to a caber-tossing competition than to do with mid-Summer, but the timing certainly suits your interpretation ;) Not sure whether the anemone, as "daughter of the wind", fits with the suit of Wands, but who knows what other associations it may have had for the artist...

    ReplyDelete