Friday, 29 July 2011

Bullying

For my last card from the Tarot of Trees by Dana Driscoll, I drew the Ten of Wands.

Two large trees with interwoven branches loom over a tiny sapling which wilts under them, unable to get the light and nourishment it needs.  Rather than the traditional interpretation of taking on too much responsibility, here I see someone weighed down by bullying, or by other people's expectations.  It could even suggest a child who is being mistreated or neglected by adults, or more generally someone who isn't getting their needs fulfilled.

I realise that my first reading of this card is based on the author's comment that the sapling is green and sickly.  I think it is also possible to see this scene differently.  Two larger trees shade a sapling from the burning sun, protecting it so that it doesn't get damaged before it grows strong enough to survive.  Here, then, the two large trees could be seen as taking on responsibility for the sapling, perhaps to their own detriment.  They are exposing themselves to the sun they protect the sapling from, and having to hold their branches in a position which might not be very good for them.


I am grateful that enough of my needs are met for me to grow.

I am thankful that my Dear One and I can share the load of taking care of our son.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry for all the comments. Lots of hugs to you and your dear family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now your second interpretation really jelled with me. I looked at this picture and I thought protection, but then I had another thought too. The sapling is growing in not the ideal place but it still could survive although that will be a challenge for it.

    Although the task at hand can be overwhelming, with determination the sapling can reach its goal.

    Lve your gratitudes btw ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MM,
    No need to apologise for commenting - it's lovely to know there are people "out there" ;) And such nice ones, too!

    Hi Helen,

    Those are interesting interpretations, too - conditions not being ideal, but getting some help to make the best of things, or simply pushing through with determination. The latter connects with more traditional 10 of Wands imagery - heft those wands up and just put one foot in front of the other :)

    Hugs to both of you,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete