Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Dark Mage

Drawing still from the photographic Silver Era Tarot by Aunia Kahn and Russell J. Moon, today's card is the Magician.  I find it fascinating that in some instances the scans show up more detail than can be seen by the naked eye.  Until I saw this image, I hadn't noticed that there was gorgeous, dark, flocked wallpaper in the background!

In this deck, as well as the black-and-white photography and a single element in colour, another feature is the fact that Aunia is the main figure on almost all the cards.  The exceptions are the Kings, the Emperor, and cards where a male and female figure are shown, such as the Lovers, the Devil, and the Two of Cups.  So, this Magician is Aunia, wearing glasses and gazing with interest on a bottle with some green liquid swilling around the bottom.  It reminds me a little of the Bohemian Gothic Tarot, where there is a similar green liquid in a couple of cards (the Nine of Cups springs to mind).  It's interesting that the element highlighted is this bottle.  I guess she couldn't prefer one of the four suit implements to the detriment of the others.  This potion is a distillation of the Magician's knowledge and magic, embodied so that it can be put to use.


I am grateful for times when I can manifest my creative will.

2 comments:

  1. You will be manifesting your creative will this weekend! Looks like a fascinating deck, Chloe! :-)

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali :)

    I think the weekend will be rather more 3 of Cups, with a dash of the 8 of Pentacles, and maybe some Hermit/Hierophant/High Priestess energy thrown in, than Magician ;D

    ReplyDelete