Sunday, 24 July 2011

Fop, Romantic or Wimp?

Today's card from the Tarot of Trees by Dana Driscoll is the Knight of Cups.

As in the rest of these cards, this archetype is personified in a tree. When I first heard about this deck I did wonder how much I would connect with "people cards" who aren't people :) I found it somewhat challenging in the Wildwood, too, where each Court card is a different member of the animal kingdom. However, overall I find the Tarot of Trees Courts quite evocative. Perhaps least so, though, with this Knight of Cups, or at least so I thought until I began to ponder him for this blog!

His branches wave back a bit like Hugh Grant's floppy hair, giving me a feeling of someone who sees himself as romantic when actually he may be more narcissistic. On the other hand, I could see the branches as cradling his cup tenderly, holding it close to his heart(wood). On the third hand (I'm clearly having a Kali day), there is no apparent reason for his branches to droop so - is he just a wimp, easily pushed about by circumstances or others?

And so perhaps this is quite a good depiction of the Knight of Cups.  Despite not being a person, his posture lends itself to a number of variations - I imagine others will see other things in him, too!

I am grateful for the times I feel tenderly held.

No comments:

Post a Comment