Friday, 12 August 2011

Defenses

The last card I'll be drawing this week from the Tarot of the Renaissance, by Pietro Alligo and Giorgio Trevisan (Lo Scarabeo), is the Tower.

What a way to end the week!  Hmm, this card, in one form or another, has been coming up a fair bit lately...

Anyhow, I notice that this Tower looks very solid and square, yet while not yet crumbling entirely there is a huge crack running down one side.  I also see that one of the two figures falling from the tower was wearing a metal helmet - clearly a sentry or some such.  This makes me think that, when we receive a huge shock, the first thing to fall is our defenses.  Then, although we still seem to be functioning, we may notice that a certain instability has entered our sense of the world.  We may be able to shore this up, to repair it in time, or we may have to rethink everything and start over.  Only time will tell.

Finally, my eye is drawn down to the small door at the base of the Tower.   An escape route, perhaps?  When our lives are shaken, we can also just choose to walk away from the wreckage.  Which course is the harder?  Which course should we take?  I don't think there's a right answer...

I am grateful for the moments of calm before the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment