Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Healing

Today's card from the Nature's Wisdom Oracle by Mindly Lighthipe, published by Schiffer, is the Snake!

Often, in terms of symbolism, snake's are seen as indicating transformation, or letting go of the past.  If you're of a more biblical turn of image, then the associations would be with temptation and sin. Here, though, it is the snake's connection with healing that is emphasised.  This follows a long tradition, as evidenced by the intertwining snakes wrapped around a staff, which has been used in medical imagery since the ancient Greeks.

A snake's venom can kill, but in mild doses it can also heal.  This makes me think of the double-edged nature of much medicine, and of the saying "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger".  As with snake venom, though, it may not be pleasant going through one of these "strengthening" experiences.

It makes me think, too, about the different kinds of both strength and healing we can experience.  Something which challenges us physically may leave us physically stronger, or it might have permanent effects at that level but leave us emotionally stronger.  And something that challenges us emotionally, might drain us physically, but likewise leave us emotionally more resilient.  My point being that we need to take our silver lining where we find it - which is also part of the healing process.

I am grateful for the innate ability to heal found in all of life, even if we humans can't hold a candle to starfish or salamanders.


I am thankful that I am developing emotional resilience.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post. When I looked at this snake I only saw the healing energy of it, and it also drew to mind the Hindu serpent goddess Kundalini - that life force that exists in each of us. Kundalini energy is believed I think to ascend up through the spine and awaken all the chakras as it goes. A self healing if you like.

    I have a gratitude to add to yours if I may.

    I am grateful that I can tap into self healing energies that exist within me in order to create balance within my body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen,

    That's an excellent point, I can't imagine why I didn't think of it. Hmm, might have to blog about this at some point, when I read your comment two tarot cards popped into my mind ;)

    Really like your gratitude, too - very powerful!

    Chloë

    ReplyDelete