Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Unstructured Reading

Tarot of the Silicon Dawn - The Fool4, King of Cups, 5 of Swords
I hadn't really thought about this much before - the fact that I never read in an unstructured way.  I have always preferred a "spread", even for a single card daily draw where I decide beforehand if this is about what energies I need to bring to the day, or what I should expect of the day.  The latter, being both more open and more passive, has also rarely suited me!

Why should this be?  I'm not very knowledgeable about astrology, but would like to gain more insight into it.  I recently noticed that, despite being a flighty Gemini, I have Capricorn Moon.  Perhaps this might explain why, when it comes to emotional questions and even to using my intuition, I have a preference for grounding and structure.  However, being a Gemini I do like to try out different things.  So, having recently read how Carla at Rowan Tarot approaches non-structured three card draws, I decided to challenge myself and give it a go.

I drew three cards from the Tarot of the Silicon Dawn, without assigning positions to them.  What I got is the line of cards you see above - the Fool, the King of Cups and the Five of Swords.

One of the first things I noticed was the fact that the cards to either side are in darkness, while the centre card is the deep blue of emotions.  So, perhaps a question of fear and emotionality.  The Fool (the fourth in this rather non-traditional deck), is less positive than many renditions of this archetype.  She is actually looking back at the building from which she has leapt.  These cards use an innovative varnishing technique, which unfortunately doesn't scan or photograph well, so you'll just have to take my word for the fact that she has some little wings, and that she's fleeing an octopus-like monster on the roof top.  She didn't jump willingly, but is being chased by a monster associated with water and emotions.  Hmm, already a theme seems to be emerging here.

The King of Cups is deep underwater in a submarine, with a map - finding his way through the depths of emotions and unconscious thoughts, but all without getting wet.  I often associate this card with counselling - being able to navigate emotional situations, and help others do the same, without getting sucked into the feelings involved.  The Fool is leaping towards him - a need to move more towards this kind of emotional stability, unaffected by fears?

To his other side, and also in darkness, is another female figure.  She is spotlighted where she lies on the ground, injured and cowering.  Swords point menacingly at her, while her own has fallen from her hands, lying uselessly by her side.  Now that she can see, though, she may start to feel braver.  Although, once again, it isn't apparent in this scan, the spotlight is highlighted in varnish, shining down as though from the top right corner of the King of Cups card.  Illumination coming to the rescue, making sense of emotions so that words or ideas cannot do any more damage.

Drawing this all together, what I see is that I have been running away from things that scare me, emotions I haven't wanted to face, and ideas that I find difficult.  The way to manage all of this is to get a bit of emotional distance and perspective, and to decide where I want to go and find out where I am now.  This reminds me of Mary Collin's talk at the TABI Conference about visualising where you want to be, checking where you are now, and strategising how to get from here to there, with do-able action points.

In particular, I have an essay to write in the next couple of weeks.  I have been finding it very difficult to get down to.  Well, to be honest, I should be writing it now instead of blogging   Still, I hope that thinking about this will help me find a way to overcome my hesitancy.  I have been afraid of the essay because I have chosen a subject which I find a little daunting.  So, I shall bring it a bit closer to home, to make it more manageable.  Instead of trying to read a bunch of books by some very "philosophical" writers, I shall stick to ones who make more sense to me, even if they aren't as academic.

Also, I have been putting it off because other (emotional) issues took precedence - BB going into hospital, for instance.  Perhaps, too, a fear that I won't do a good job.  To top all that off, my office computer has been giving me serious trouble - it could well be the 5 of Swords character, fatally wounded (but I want to wait til September to get a new computer when the new range comes out, rather than getting one now which will be out of date in a months time!)  Also, just the fact that I haven't done it yet is getting me worried, with the deadline looming.  Plenty of fearful swords and emotional monsters here   The only way to break that mindset is to step back and actually get on with it...

Images from the Tarot of the Silicon Dawn  by Egypt Urnash, published by Lo Scarabeo.

9 comments:

  1. That was an excellent reading! It's too bad the cards won't scan like in real life. That's a crazy little deck you got there! :) Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carla. You did a great job and should have no fear of doing unstructured readings at any time. I like that the content of the reading had to deal with facing fears and managing emotions, and one of your fears was not relying on a spread or structure, and you did very well with it.

    Good luck with your essay...I'm sure you'll ace it.

    :)
    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carla, hi MM,

    Thanks for the support. I quite enjoyed doing this unstructured reading, and will certainly be trying it again. Good point, MM, about a reading on fears where I challenged a fear :>

    Not sure how much I'll use the Silicon Dawn for blogging, unless I can finally manage a vlog where the word I use most isn't "Erm" :b

    Starting to get my head round the essay, now I just have to hope the computer cooperates - guess I'm learning about Mercury retrograde, too :duh:

    Hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice reading. For your first unstructured reading, you did marvelous. Thanks for the link over to Rowan Tarot. I enjoyed her posts.

    Don't get me started on Mercury. For the first week of its shadow, didn't know what it was, but chaos was about. Then I learned about it and it was like the chaos doubled. But what's worse, is we still have quite a few more weeks before we are in the clear. I'm quite honestly a little scared. :)

    Best wishes,
    Cher Green

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cher,

    Yeah, I've heard about Mercury retrograde before, and Janet Boyer wrote an interesting post about it. Unfortunately, with a deadline looming I can't focus on "re-" anything, as this essay has barely started being written :duh: Despite far too many hours being spent trying to fix it, my office computer refuses to do all but the most basic of tasks - fortunately it will still scan things, but I can't even format documents on it! Roll on the next cycle...

    Hope you're having better luck with your Mercury induced chaos!
    Best wishes,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember that 'retrograde' of any planet is only an illusion. And illusions are there to be overcome and vanquished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, but how do you overcome a computer's illusions? My computer thinks I, my files and my preferences don't exist...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, illusion and delusion are two different mindsets. I think your computer is delusional!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're probably right, Cat :) It's for the knackers yard, me thinks. I have to admit, it's over 7 years old, which in computer years is right up there with Methuselah.

    ReplyDelete