Thursday, 18 August 2011

Veiled Truths

For the sixth daily draw with the Ludy Lescot Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2011) illustrated by Patrizio Evangelisti, I pulled the Ace of Swords.

In the forefront, a masked woman looks out at us, while in the background a sword stands with blade buried in a stone. Both the mask and the stone-entombed sword make me think of truths which we have to fight for, or those which are hidden, or at least not obvious at first glance. While on the one hand we may not like when we have to hunt for an idea or a truth, on the other hand there can be a sense of protection in not ourselves being fully seen. We fear that, if someone saw us as we really are, they would judge us and find us wanting. And so we ourselves often veil our truths.

Today I see my therapist. Last week was full of fireworks, and I hope to find the courage to speak at least some of my truth today. I see this as a rehearsal for trying to be more open with other people in my life, too.

I am grateful for times when I can show my truth to others openly.

4 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post. This is such an interesting take on the Ace of Swords and this card is very different from any Ace of Swords I've seen. I totally agree... fighting for our truth, whether its to keep it hidden or to make it known. I think that validation is something that we are all seeking in some form or another and if people just felt "validated" in their lives it would take away a lot of the sorrow of the world. Maybe getting in-touch with our truth from an inner perspective is really all we need to feel that.

    Great card... I have lots to think about now ;)

    I hope your day with the therapist goes well... let it out. Know that you are there for yourself and no one else. Its really freeing to just speak about yourself once you feel comfortable doing it

    All the best,
    Shaheen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful card, one of my favorites from the deck. The Ace of Swords I often see as cutting through the bs, so I think you will have a good session. I hope so anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shaheen,
    Yes, it is quite a different take on the Ace of Swords. All the Aces in this deck show a masked woman, and masks bring a whole new dimension to most things. I think it works, though - whether it be hiding our thoughts, emotions, physicality, or values.

    Good point, too, about validation. I think there is an extent to which, if we never experience external validation we cannot learn internal validation...

    All the best to you, too :)
    Chloë

    Hi Manda,

    Well, the session was pretty good, and there was certainly lots of stuff about cutting bs and getting to the heart of things.

    Are there any decks you don't have? ;) I love that you have way more decks than me - reduces the guilt each time I get clicking at amazon, ha ha.

    Take care,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a nice card. I love the purples. From what I can see, I like the aces. Unfortunately, I think that 3 of Swords put me off of getting the pack though.

    I am glad to hear that your session went well. The ace feels positive to me. I see the sword in the stone as being thrust there by the woman, with her saying 'Take that! I ain't taking no more of your BS!'. A very cleansing card, I feel.

    PLN

    ReplyDelete