Sunday, 18 September 2011

Alice In A Sea Of Tears

For this second draw with the Oracle of the Shapeshifters (Blue Angel 2011), I pulled this card which links with Alice in Wonderland.  I like the fact that this deck mixes things up - including references to religious texts from around the world as well as from novels and culture more generally.

What a depressing image we have here, though.  Alice treading water in a sea of the tears she cried when she was big which, now she has shrunk, she risks drowning in.  This makes me think about how problems, which in a normal mood we might overcome with ease, can seem enormous when we are sad or stressed.

I am intrigued by the creatures swimming alongside Alice.  The mouse suggests something about the benefits of being inconspicuous, while the crab speaks to me of protecting myself by being a bit thicker-skinned.  These associations play nicely against the phrase on the card: instead of feeling abandoned we can look for the positive in flying under the radar; instead of feeling out of our depth, we can work on creating a safe space for ourselves.

I have been avoiding approaching an essay, which I half wrote a couple of months ago and now really need to get on and finish.  Part of my hesitancy is because it is a self-reflective piece, which feels quite exposing.  It is also in an area where I don't feel I have all the answers, or even many of them.  However, maybe I just need to stick to what I do know, and write it in a way that still feels safe.  This card feels like a kick up the butt to just get on with it and stop feeling sorry for myself...

I am grateful for my mother, who is often a rock in a sea of emotion.

4 comments:

  1. Uh oh!

    Not the dreaded essay!

    I hope you can get it out of your hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MM,

    Would you believe, this is another essay! I did finally get the other one done. This is for a Continuing Professional Development course, so I don't absolutely have to do it, but I feel guilty, and I have half written it, so it seems silly not to finish...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no...not ANOTHER dreaded essay!

    Wow, I keep forgetting all you do. With your counseling classes and your yoga and tarot, and taking care of your son. It's a lot!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, and my last term of the Masters starts on Monday, so things will get a bit crazier *yikes* Still, at least BB goes to school for several hours five days a week!

    ReplyDelete