Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Candy Cane Angel

I am awaiting the new Oracle of the Shapeshifters (Blue Angel 2011) authored by Lucy Cavendish and illustrated by Jasmine Becket-Griffith.  So, to ease my impatience I decided to draw a card from their previous deck, the Oracle of Shadows and Light (Blue Angel 2010). 

Having just posted on Facebook about no longer eating chocolate/cake/biscuits (none since 20th January - yay me!) I was somewhat shocked to be faced by this Angel of sweet treats.  But then I remembered something Deanne Jade said during the course I did last year on Eating Disorders, about the importance of still treating ourselves and doing pleasurable things for ourselves.

I also just read a great post by Arwen which reminded me that feeling love for ourselves and for others is part of our right (perhaps even our duty) as beings on this beautiful planet, yet also something that we have to consciously choose each and every day.

So, this Angel challenges me to think about how I can treat myself and feel rewarded without sweets, about how I can express my love for myself and for others other than through food.  I notice the symbolism of the Candy Cane she holds, and am reminded that this is based on the shepherd's crook.  A way for the shepherd to grab a sheep to stop them hurting themselves or getting lost, as well as to help the shepherd scramble around after the sheep.  This practical work implement has been transformed into a treat, can I do the same with things in my life?

I think I'll go and workout while watching a TV show that my Dear One wouldn't be interested in, and later I will meditate with a beautiful card.  I will also make sure to have some quality time with Big Boy when he gets home, not just worry about feeding him and making sure he's physically well, but play some game we'll both enjoy.

How will you treat yourself today?

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, sounds delightful Sharyn. Do you drink it, bathe in it, or something else entirely?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit...this makes me crave sweets!

    I am eating a big bowl of borscht, though, so hopefully I won't have much room for sweets.

    I like your interpretation and hope you find some fun ways to treat yourself. I need to do the same--I feel a bit depressed and burnt out today.

    Much Love,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MM,

    Physically, the best way to beat sugar cravings is to up the protein in your diet :) Emotional cravings are rather harder to deal with, though :(

    Hope you've made some time for yourself today, and enjoyed something fun and/or uplifting!

    Big hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete