Thursday, 15 September 2011

Finally - A Vlog!

Almost a year ago I decided I wanted to try my hand at video blogging!  Good thing no-one was holding their breath, as despite several attempts with the camera and having more or less solved the lighting (less), location, shaking (more) and background (whadya think - it's a reading cloth from the talented Ania M) issues, my umming and ahhing still dominated the readings.  In the bin they all went!

Then, earlier this week, I saw the video blog that Tarot Mama had created and felt inspired once again.  Yesterday, I dug out my camera and gave it another go.  I did a three card reading with the Oracle of Shadows and Light, authored by Lucy Cavendish and with artwork by Jasmine Becket-Griffith (Blue Angel 2010).  It's not great, it's not perfect, but I think it's good enough to publish as my first attempt, hope you'll agree :)

I forgot little things like saying who I am and where to find me on the web :duh:  And I still ummed and ahhed a bit.  Nevertheless, I hope you'll forgive these little hiccups and enjoy this foray into unknown territory - plus you get to laugh at my accent :)

The link is here.

The spread I used is the Pathway Spread from the companion book to the Wildwood Tarot, and the positions are: 1) Situation 2) Action to Take 3) Action Not to Take.

After the fact, I've come to a better understanding of how this reading relates to my own situation - in fact, it's about doing this vlog!  The beacon I was following was the example of Tarot Mama.  The drama was "acting" for the camera, and the difficulties of getting the vlog up.  As for the warning not to expect immediate results - talk about understatement!  Having made the video, the next stage was to try uploading it.  As some of you may remember, last Mercury Retrograde took my old computer.  So, I had some software issues even trying to load the vid onto my computer.  Then more software faffing to upload it to youtube, as I had to alter some settings in Java (didn't even know I had it running).  Between confusions about youtube settings, internet connection drop-outs, and other unspecified issues, it took me over 24 hours to upload 8 minutes of video!  How ridiculous is that!  And then another couple of hours to rotate it to be the right way up...

For the next one, I am going to try a different format, because while I don't expect to up-load things as quickly as I can say "Ah-ha!" 24 hours is extreme.

Anyhow, that's my own particular version of the reading.  I hope anyone who sees the video will perhaps find something relevant to them in there - I drew the cards asking for something of general use to my readership as well as myself.  And whether it chimes with you or not, I'd love to hear what you think.

6 comments:

  1. Even on wireless broadband short youtubes take about 20 minutes to load here and I haven't got that long of an attention span :) but congratulations on a job finished. I practiced blogging for about 6 months before I finally decided to leave what I'd written up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharyn,

    I know what you mean about uploading youtubes - that's why I didn't embed it on this page :) Hard to believe you chucked 6 months of blogs - I imagine your standards for yourself are very high!

    Best wishes,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab! Really nice to hear your thoughts and see the cards like this. It loaded up very quickly here with no interuptions. Nice to see the deck too. Not sure if that would be one for me or not. Quite like the illustrations but don't think the gender inbalance is something I'm too keen on.

    Looking forward to more Vlogs!
    PLN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi PLN,

    Thanks, glad you liked it :) If you click on the tag at the bottom of the post you can see more of the deck from previous blogs. It is entirely female, though, as are the Shapeshifters...

    Looking forward to doing more vlogs, though I think I'll change the format, not quite sure how...
    :) Chloë

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a lovely job. It makes me want to try it! I have never done much with video. I'm more of a photo person, but I think it would be fun for a change of pace.

    I think you should add little people that you can act out the meanings with. Just kidding! I think your format was just fine-you don't have to change it. Maybe you could do a yoga class WITH tarot reading. Haha! :)

    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi MM,

    Thanks for your kind words. I think what appealed to me with the video is the feeling of immediacy you get, and also a sense of being more *real*. Not just writing on a page, but moving images and a real voice...

    I think with your artistic talent you'd be better placed to create little people to act things out ;) May I be your Seabeacon Fairy, beckoning you into unknown territory!

    Hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete