Thursday, 8 September 2011

Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall

For this penultimate day drawing from the Tarot of the Silicon Dawn (Lo Scarabeo 2011, by Egypt Urnash), I received the Queen of Pentacles.  Of course, because Egypt has swapped the associations of Wands and Pentacles, this woman may be more like traditional notions of the Queen of Wands.

I have always had a fondness for the Queen of Wands.  In the Rider-Waite-Smith, she appears with a black cat, a sunflower, and butterflies.  I like the idea of a woman who is passionate in her beliefs and her loves, a bit witchy, warm and gregarious.  On the other hand, a few weeks back Prince Le Normand discussed his view of the Queen of Wands, which involved rather more ego and less enthusiasm.  The Queen of Pentacles, on the other hand, I associate with making the most of what you have, being creative and crafty, practical and generous.

This Silicon Dawn Queen of Pentacles seems rather closer to Prince Le Normand's Queen of Wands.  She sits in a cave, with a dragon seeming to be melded to her spine, tail curving down her leg, head poking out through her red hair.  She gazes at herself in her dark, pentacle-etched mirror.  Outside we see a palm tree, hinting at warm breezes, and certainly she doesn't seem cold as she sits naked within a stalagtite-filled cave.  I see in her a certain fieriness and vanity, and can imagine her "burning" someone if they offend her, or "flaming" them on-line.

Or is the mirror a dark mirror for scrying?  Does she draw on the dragon's energy to feed her vision?  Is she alone to better focus?  If so, then I imagine she is showing those fiery traits I admire - a belief in something and a willingness to put energy into it, to try to create what she wants.

I have been meditating daily all this week, trying to find more equanimity (and better sleep).  It's something I've wanted to be more regular with for a while, but finally I seem to have found the impetus to do so.  Today I see my therapist, and I wonder if we will again tap into raw emotions, anger and will.  If so, perhaps my meditating will help balance these out, make me able to use them rather than be dragged along by them.  We shall see...


I am grateful for the enthusiasm to put my beliefs into action.

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, I feel honoured to have my name mentioned in your blog. Thank you! I am trying my best to like that old queen, but I need a few more positive roll models.

    I initially wrote my feelings down about her in an old blog post, which kind of explains myself a bit better -

    http://princelenormand.blogspot.com/2010/05/queen-of-warmth-and-fourth-degree-burns.html

    PLN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PLN,

    Sorry to hear about your very negative experience with Oddbod. And it's true that there's a dark side to every person, and every card. I guess I've just never really had that kind of experience. Or perhaps just that I can't really dislike the Queen of Wands (not that she's me, I'm more of a Swords lady). Perhaps I'm drawn to those aspects which I don't feel I have, and so tend to see them in a more positive light?

    I'd see some of Oddbod's behaviour as being more Queen of Cups (emotional manipulation) and Queen of Pentacles (focus on material power). So I guess it's about how we define things, and then finding examples that fit our own definitions... Hmm, more on definitions tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe...I was hoping that you'd both say you had a great experience because I'm a Queen of Wands! So is Monica (Tarot in a Teacup).

    I'd say 3/4 of the women I know are fire sign women. Sometimes they're strong-willed but overall, most of the time, they are loving and passionate. They can be a bit too outspoken but what I've realized is that everyone has bad traits. Sometimes the passive aggressiveness or flightiness of other signs bothers me, too, but you know...it's all relative to your own experiences!

    :)
    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chloë,

    I like your explanation on the various traits of Oddbod. One thing I think people forget is that everyone's chart is so different. Two Scorpios are never the same. Two Aries can be very different. I think that's why it makes me nervous when people come up to me and ask if their astrological sign is 'bad'...of course not! I firmly believe everyone has good and bad potential and it's all what you make of it.

    But at the same time, I understand Steve's point. If you've had some bad experiences with someone of a particular sign or element, it's hard not to see that when you see a certain card.

    Hugs to y'all,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  5. On an unrelated note, I like that this woman's ass is a bit on the chunky and beefy side. I like that! She's not a complete stick. Heheee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi MM,

    I agree with everything you say. For example, I've had some bad experiences with Taureans. But I although I'm a little biased against them, I also recognise that everyone is an individual. And I now know a Taurean who is absolutely lovely. So, my bias is starting to change. At least recognising where you have a bias let's you think about why you might have it...

    And I agree, I like that she isn't just stick thin - there's more sensuality to someone with a bit of flesh on them ;D

    ReplyDelete