Monday, 12 September 2011

Sophia

When I was deciding which deck to use for this week's daily draws, I pulled a card from each of the three contenders.  This was the card I drew from the Mythical Goddess Tarot which made me choose it.  So, I was delighted to see this goddess reappear for her moment in the limelight :)

Sophia is a goddess of wisdom, taking her name from the Greek word for the same.  She is found in many different religious texts including the Bible, and her name is often translated as spirit or soul.  In this deck, she replaces the Hierophant.

I'll admit to being one of those people who often has trouble with the Hierophant in his more traditional guise.  However, I adore this image and what Sophia represents.  I notice the points of light which illuminate her from within her belly and breasts, as well as her throat, third eye and head.  Not quite equivalent to the seven chakras most often referred to, they nevertheless suggest a balanced wisdom based in the body, heart and mind.  There are also eyes in the palms of her hand, and in the lowest point of illumination in her body, at her groin.  This speaks to me of wisdom and knowledge not just being of the head, but that body memory we gain from doing things repeatedly.  More than that even, the eyes in her palms suggest all that we can learn through touch.  Good massage therapists, osteopaths and reiki practitioners feel more than tight muscles and illness through their hands, sensing the energy in the person they are treating.

This card speaks to me, then, of wisdom developed in a balanced way, combining action and thought, body and mind.  Although this kind of wisdom comes from the individual, it can be facilitated by a mentor suggesting experiences for the person to try and points to be aware of or areas of focus.

I also notice her round, pregnant belly.  Incorporating this kind of wisdom into our lives gives us the potential to birth new ideas, new ways of being, that embody our inner light.

I am grateful for the wise healers in my life.

I am grateful for all I have learned so far in my life.

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I don't know why but I really resonate with this image. It sounds embarrassing and perhaps TMI but part of what clicks with me is the image of her breasts and belly. I get self conscious about these parts of my body but they are so central to the image of womanhood, and are really quite special and sacred. It reminded me to appreciate these things, and the feminine wisdom they bring with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MM,

    That is a beatiful and empowering insight! It's true that those areas are the ones modern beauty paradigms most malign, yet they are quintessential signs of femininity (and motherhood). Makes you think... :)

    Hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might be interested in the study of Sophia I did with the Tarot of the Saints:
    http://woley.wordpress.com/2010/04/01/xxi-st-sophia-the-world/

    I also have the Mythical Goddess Tarot and I love the artwork, particularly Lakshmi--that was the card that got me to buy the deck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Woley,

    Thanks for the link, that was an interesting article :) Have to say, Lakshmi wouldn't have sold me on the deck, but then she's not one of my favourite goddesses anyway... Looking forward to reading more of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete