Monday, 5 September 2011

Won't You Join The Dance?

Today, when I look at this card (which also came up in the Interview I did with the Tarot of the Silicon Dawn last week) what comes to mind is the song from Alice in Wonderland, The Lobster's Quadrille.

There is a quite festive feeling to this image, though the party seems to have some pretty odd guests.  As for the two in the foreground, I get the sense that he is inviting her to dance, trying to tempt her to join in by offering her the necklace they both hold.  Or perhaps the necklace is a prop for the dance, a way to connect the two dancers.  She is slightly tempted, but today I feel she'll decline the invitation.  After all, the suit of Wands in this deck is associated with Earth (more traditionally linked to Pentacles).  The offer, then, seems to be to join the dance of consumerism, and to that I gladly say no (well, so long as it's not tarot decks we're talking about).  This card for me has echoes of the Nine of Pentacles and I hope the woman will prefer her independence to the lure of the material. 

I am grateful that I can take or leave a lot of what is on offer in our often materialistic society.

2 comments:

  1. I like the concept of her suit/numbers, small and noninvasive, but I can't tell what they are. Is this the nine of umbrellas? I don't get her elemental dignities either. Is there anything going for the deck beside oddness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharyn,

    Sorry, you're quite right, I didn't clarify. This is the Nine of Wands, but as I mentioned it's associated with Earth instead of Fire. It's only Pentacles and Wands that she has swapped in this way. I think it's to do with the fact that wands, as wooden branches, seem to her closer to nature and the material, while Pentacles with their "spirit over the material" reference seem more appropriate to values and action to her. I can see her point, though it does feel pretty weird and takes some getting used to.

    Personally, this deck is in my favourite three for this year! I think it has a lot to offer and explore - it's certainly innovative.

    For example, on the front two wands in this card, the varnishing technique shows/hides equations for compound interest and Malthusian population growth. Despite the apparent material prosperity of the people shown, this brings in questions about sustainability and living beyond your means. I think there's a lot of subtlety and depth here.

    Anyhow, to each her own, but perhaps the rest of the week will tempt you a little more... :)

    ReplyDelete