Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Breaking the Stalemate

Today's card from the Tarot of the Dream Enchantress (Lo Scarabeo, 2009) appeals to me in a strange way.

Two female figures sit facing one another, mirroring one another even, with their hands on the hilt of a large sword.  Some of their hair flows to either side of their faces, meeting at a point between them and seeming to meld together.  This seems like a stalemate, and yet I notice another sword blade coming down from above, alongside the sword they both hold.  This will surely cut them apart, or at least make one or other let go her hold on the hilt.

There is also something about their location, on a boulder in a mountainous region, that speaks to exploring ideas, a challenge, or perhaps trying to find some common ground.

The breaking of a stalemate makes me think of how something like a tarot reading, or even simply as a passing comment by a friend or stranger can change our perspective.  Sometimes we get into a battle of wills with ourself, perhaps between our shadow and our everyday persona.  In those cases, we often can't break out of the situation by ourselves, and it does take some idea or comment from the outside to break us out of our inertia.

Today I feel stuck because Big Boy is ill again, and can't go to school.  I had plans to meet up with an old friend who I haven't seen in about a year, but those have been put on hold.  I also wanted to do some work for college, but I doubt he'll like the idea of mummy paying attention to anything but his sick self.  Even if he naps, he tends to fall asleep on me, and not like being moved!  My better self says I just need to accept that today will be all about him, while another part of me says, "But I have needs, too".  I hope I find some way to accomodate them both.

I am grateful for wise counsel, wherever it may come from.

4 comments:

  1. Hug. Oh, I'm so sorry. It sounds exhausting. I hope you can find a way to address your own needs.

    I love your idea of breaking out of self-imposed battles by getting intervention from the outside world. This is something I've found so valuable in my life. Need to apply that right now, in fact.

    Mucho Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MM,
    Thanks for the support :) At least I got to sleep for a couple of hours, so I can't complain!

    Good luck with getting an outside perspective.
    Muchisimos hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The breaking of a stalemate makes me think of how something like a tarot reading, or even simply as a passing comment by a friend or stranger can change our perspective. Sometimes we get into a battle of wills with ourself, perhaps between our shadow and our everyday persona. In those cases, we often can't break out of the situation by ourselves, and it does take some idea or comment from the outside to break us out of our inertia."

    I'm sorry about Big Boy's illness, and I wish him a speedy recovery. I hope that very soon you'll be able to give yourself the time you need!...

    <3
    This paragraph is filled with wisdom! Many times we are caught in a stalemate situation, and we really need a push to keep going. It's as if you needed someone else to push you in a direction because you cannot see clearly enough in that moment to decide for yourself.

    I go through many stalemate moments, paralyzed by fear usually. I am trying to breakfree from this, but it is difficult...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marina,

    Thanks for the well wishes for BB, and for me :)

    Fear is such a strong force. I wish you well in finding support in breaking free of its clutches.

    ReplyDelete