Monday, 10 October 2011

Playing the Edge

The Tarot of the Dream Enchantress (Lo Scarabeo, 2009) offers us a sylph today.

She represents the Six of Cups, which we see floating in the water beneath her.  She herself plays at the surface, perhaps dreaming of things she would like to do and see.  One thing I see here is a sort of challenging of herself - playing at the edge of her comfort zone, and dreaming about a life on land, though that is not her element.  These kind of daydreams can be the spur that challenges us to try new things, or it can just leave us feeling despondent about where we are.

Following more traditional associations, I also see a sense of nostalgia here, and a willingness to indulge in emotions.  I notice, too, the lilies, suggesting enlightenment and spiritual openness.  And there is the oft-mentioned fact that lilies grow up out of the mud.  Bringing all this together, perhaps a sense of thinking back about the past, with a view to understanding the emotions of that time and learning from them.

This interpretation fits well with my day, today.  Not only am I at college studying psychotherapy, but I have to present a client in supervision.  So, reflecting back on the client's material, how it may relate to their past, and what emotions it evokes in me, too.

I am grateful for opportunities to reflect and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment