Friday, 21 October 2011

Red Shards

Today, Beth Seilonen's Tarot Leaves shows us its darker, more punitive side, with the Ten of Swords.

In some ways this card reminds me more of the Nine of Swords - a female figure menaced by sword blades from all directions.  She holds her hands up as though to ward them off, as if her will alone could stop her from being pierced and sliced by these pointed, angry red shards.  Her situation looks pretty hopeless, grey and bleak.  On the other hand, the red of the swords brings colour to the scene.  Perhaps they are exactly what's needed, even if they are fearful and unknown.  Cutting their way through this place of lifelessness, perhaps they bring a necessary change, and some room to grow.

Today my mum is coming to visit.  She always brings a fresh perspective and good ideas, as well as a shoulder to cry on in times of need.


I am grateful for people who can offer an outside perspective, bringing fresh light to situations.

4 comments:

  1. I also thought that was the 9 of Swords when I looked it. I don't know if you know the Renaissance Tarot. It was figures modelled out of some sort of modelling substance and painted. It looks very much like that 9 of Swords.

    PLN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PLN,

    Interesting, I hadn't heard of a modelling clay painted tarot. When I googled it I came up with at least three Renaissance Tarot's (one of which I have and is definitely not the one you're talking about).

    It's weird when that sort of thing happens, a card that looks like another card. Overall this deck is fairly traditionally RWS, this is an exception.

    Best wishes,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is weird when these sort of things happen, but fun also, for comparison.

    Here's the deck. The 8 and 9 of Swords both have an echo of this card in them.

    http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/166/Renaissance?&show_interstitial=1&u=%2Fphotos%2Falbum

    PLN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi PLN,

    Thanks for that link - interesting deck! I see what you mean about the three dimensionality of them. And also about the Eight and Nine of Swords. Weird, too, that the Ten of Swords feels relatively benign, though I guess you could see those lined up swords almost like a guillotine blade *eek* :)

    Chloë

    ReplyDelete