Friday, 25 November 2011

Judgement

For this last draw with Iowan's Tarot I finally got a Major, and coincidentally the only one that hasn't had its title changed.  I think it a shame, actually.  I like a lot of the other Majors, which represent quite different takes on traditional ideas.  For example, her version of the Hierophant is called "Djeli", which I just had to google.  Wikipedia tells me that this is a West African storyteller, a mixture of poet, praise singer and history teller much like a bard, which I find a very appropriate, positive and beautiful take on this sometimes problematic card.

However, here we have a traditional title, with an image that seems far closer to notions of Justice.  The Egyptian figure with scales bearing a feather and a heart, standing between two columns, echoes many versions of Maat as Justice.  Still, I guess Maat's association with the Underworld does make her appropriate for Judgement, so often portrayed as people rising from their graves at the call of an angel.  This doesn't have that sense of moving on that I normally associate with this Major, though that may be a road in the background, leading who-knows-where.  I'll be interested to hear what others make of this card.

Not sure how it relates to my day, either.  I'm still in essay mode, and I can't see me finishing and moving on for a while yet.  I'm also seeing a client, so maybe there will be some movement there.  Or maybe I will have my own epiphany...

I am grateful for opportunities to assess where I am and where I'm going.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting card, I like that each of the scales holds a heart and a feather—the balancing out of thoughts and emotions, and that road that stretches beyond—the chance to move on.

    Perhaps this card indicates,that it is by acknowledging the role your own thoughts and emotions play in opening up new opportunities for you that one understand how they have arrived at this particular point.

    It appears from this card, at least to me, that it indicates, it is in achieving a balance between the two that we can truly see the way ahead and are able to transcend to another level of understanding.

    I am grateful for the opportunity to understand myself better and move myself into a better space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen,

    Oh, interesting ideas! I like your association of the feather and heart with thoughts and emotions - I was so stuck on the Maat connection that I didn't think of that. Great interpretation combining the heart and feather with the road! And a lovely gratitude, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I just want to thank you for purchasing my deck. I had been off of GameCrafter for a while. A lot of family stuff - having twins and taking care of them. Well, I checked on my account and found you left a nice review of them. I followed your link that you left to here.
    Seeing your review of what I worked to hard to put together made me so happy like you wouldn't believe. Even though it's been a while since you've purchased them and left that review, I just wanted to let you know that I'm very grateful.
    Take care!

    ~Iowan

    ReplyDelete