Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Locked Down

On this Wednesday morning, the All Harrows Tarot offers up the Four of Pentacles.

This man clings tightly to his golden disks, which seem to threaten to fall from his arms due to their weight.  There is a sliver of a crescent moon behind him, and his hair is a lively green.  However, he looks rather locked in, with wire-rimmed glasses that hide his eyes, nose and ear piercings that weigh him down, and leather cuffs on his arms, clasped around his sleeves.  Overall, my impression is of someone holding tightly to things he feels will keep him safe, without realising that those same things dehumanise him.

Today I face the bureacracy of applying for a new passport, which is dehumanising in its own way.  Faceless officials, official procedures, and a system where people become numbers - it may be practical, but it doesn't lift the human spirit.

I am grateful that my life isn't very bureaucratic.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe if your passport was a pumpkin that would help it feel more human, don't you think? Though it would spoil, and that may not be so good!

    Hope your day is not too red-tape filled.

    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol.

    I think I'm delirious. I thought he was holding a pumpkin even after reading it was disks. Shadows of Halloween still haunting me, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MM,

    OK, I'm trying to get my head around the idea of presenting a customs official with a pumpkin... wouldn't that count as attempted bribery? :D

    Wishing you a restful day.
    Hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MM,

    Well, it is a somewhat Hallowe'en-themed deck, so it wouldn't have been ridiculous for him to hold a pumpkin :) Maybe it's the fact that there's a pumpkin in the deck front image right beside it, as well. Anyhow, here's wishing you a pumpkin-filled day ;)

    Hugs,
    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. Makes sense! That is funny. I prefer coins to pumpkins, being a materialistic pig and all...but pumpkin does sound tasty. I have some pumpkin puree in the fridge right now. I am NOT making more pie any time soon, though. Too tempting!!!

    XOX,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi MM,

    Definitely tempting, given how good your last pumpkin pie looked! Here's wishing you the willpower to resist such temptations :)

    Lotsa love,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete