Thursday, 3 November 2011

Paper Boat

Today the All Hallows Tarot offers us the Six of Swords.

This is a card that I often love, it can have such a sense of forward movement and things getting better.  Here, as it's a very urban deck, we have something rather different.  Still, that sense of the wish to move on is clearly there, a suggestion that movement is in our mind and intention as much as in physical displacement.  I am also struck by their t-shirts, each with a three-of-swords depiction.  This implies that what makes them want to move is the fact of having suffered some heartache.  And so they dream and plan, sending their paper boat down the stream to end up who-knows-where...

Thinking about this card, what I'm aware of is my desire to finish the taught part of my Masters - it is weighing heavily on me at the moment.  I want to have more time for me: to read the books I am most interested in, to meditate, to reflect, to sleep.  I want to feel less stressed.  That's still just a dream - five and a half weeks to go before this part is over, and that's quite a while, and with three essays to write between now and then.  Still, maybe acknowledging my desire for movement, and planning how to get there, is what is called for.


I am grateful for the freedom of my mind: to dream and plan.

5 comments:

  1. What an interesting 6 of Swords. This image makes me FEEL that the 6 of Swords is never far away... Thoughts about moving forward, on, away, up... Dream away! :) And best of luck with your studies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that 6 of Swords. It's as if the boat is swimming out of the drain, rather than into it. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,

    Yes, that's exactly what I liked about it - the move doesn't have to be huge, just enough to carry me onward :)

    Hi PLN,

    Hmm, I see what you mean... Floating off down the street, looking for adventure in the big city :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the idea of the little boat floating down towards the dark underground! I know, it may find a rather smelly and dirty river, but there are just so many fantastic tales of people who climb down the sewer drain and end up in a parallel reality. ;)

    So it can be a card or heading into the unknown, even is at first it seems unpleasant. You never know what you may find if you just keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marina,

    I love that this card inspires such different interpretations! The idea of heading into a somewhat scary adventure is pretty cool, too :)

    ReplyDelete