Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Passing Through the Darkness

The Joie de Vivre Tarot (U.S. Games, 2011) by Paulina Cassidy today shows us a less-than-joyful aspect of life - the Five of Coins (Pentacles).

No companion accompanies our cloaked woman with the strange, striped bunny ears.  She walks through tangled undergrowth and bare branches, enveloped by grey.  And yet, candle-topped pentacles guide her way, lights in the darkness.  What I see here is a message about finding comfort in times of hardship.  That comfort may come from doing something to feel physically protected (the cloak) or it may come from spiritual guidance (the candles).  In any case, she seems to keep her sense of humour (striped bunny ears).  Or perhaps they indicate that she is extra alert to danger - listening out for any possible problems.

Today I see clients again and this card reminds me of why I do this work - to try to be a support to others while they pass through the shadow of death.  I try to help them find ways to look after themselves, and to reconnect to a sense of faith in the meaning of life. 


I am grateful for the support we humans can offer one another.

2 comments:

  1. Very great interpretation of the 5 of Coins!! I want this deck myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,

    Thanks, I do find this deck quite expressive. Still, so many decks in the world, it's hard to choose, right?

    Chloë

    ReplyDelete