Friday, 4 November 2011

The Problem of Words

I know there are quite a few people who don't like using decks with keywords or text.  The issue being that these can limit what we see in a card.  However, I feel it's always possible to look beyond this, at least if the deck is decently illustrated.

A case in point is my card for today from the Oracle of the Shapeshifters (Blue Angel, 2011) by Lucy Cavendish and Jasmine Becket-Griffith.  I drew this card asking what energy I needed to bring to the day.  Now, at first glance you'd think this is just a rather depressing card with no sense of empowerment.  It says: Alice in a Sea of Tears -  Castaway, out of your depth, feeling abandoned.  Looks like a pretty bad day if you take it just as a prediction!

However, what I make of it is that there may be a situation where I feel a bit overwhelmed.  In that case, I need to keep moving, to not give up, so as to keep my head above water.  I also see a message to listen to the small voices inside me which may help guide me.

I don't like simply accepting that a negative card means I'm going to have a bad day.  Instead, I always try to find the empowering message in the card, to help me cope with any difficulties.  So, I don't just take the text on the card at face value, I look deep into the image.  And I also frame my questions in such a way that I can find the course of action, the way forward.  For me, that openness to intuitive reading and empowerment are what using the cards is about :)

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree. Negative cards should be taking as warning signs, and used for preparation to avoid the negativity.

    Great take on this card, which by the way I just love.

    Best wishes,
    Cher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cher,

    Thanks, I love this card, too. The colours and the harking to the story of Alice in Wonderland both delight me. The text made me take a step back, which is what got me thinking and made me want to post it :)

    Hope you're well.
    Best wishes,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete