Friday, 2 December 2011

Dedicated to Brighid

I adore this depiction of the Three of Pentacles from the Wheel of the Year Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2011).

For a little while now I have been feeling a desire to spend more time exploring my connection with the Goddess, and particularly through feeling creative.  In this sense, her aspect as Brighid, goddess of creativity and inspiration, calls to me.  I see this represented here, with an artist painting a beautiful image of a female figure swathed in life-giving green, with a golden triquetra headband.  The image is framed by a gold border, with the triple aspects of the moon in the three circles of the arch.  Vines grow around the image, reminding us of the Goddess' connection to growth and abundance. 

His focus on the image, his inspiration, make me think of Joanna Powell-Colbert's current work-in-progress on the Crone (first post here).  She has been showing her artistic process step by step, as well as explaining her creative inspiration.  I see that dedication in this artist, too.

Unfortunately, I am no artist.  When I put pen to paper, what comes out is never what I intended.  I'm sure if I dedicated time and energy to studying art I would improve, but it's not something I've ever felt I had a particular aptitude for.  My creative energy goes more into making up songs or cooking something tasty, or writing :)  Yet the pull to create something visual remains. 

I won't be doing anything about it just at the moment, as I still have my essay to complete.  Still, the seed has been sown, and I shall keep thinking about what I can create in the name of the Goddess.

I am grateful for creative inspiration, wherever and whenever it strikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment