Thursday, 29 December 2011

My Top Ten of 2011

From Emily Carding's Tarot of the Sidhe
Reading about the PECTO Awards, I started thinking about which decks would be on my personal Top Ten for this year, and which I'm most looking forward to for next year.  So, this is my totally personal opinion, in alphabetical order, and mixing tarot and oracle decks, of my favourite decks released this year:

Cat's Eye Tarot - In my eyes, the best cat tarot going (and I have several) as it really is from the cats' perspective, drawn by a vet - 'nuff said.
Crystal Visions Tarot - A soft, feminine deck with beautiful artwork, traditional RWS but with some nice twists.
Joie de Vivre Tarot - Quirky, and a bit less busy than the Paulina, with lovely colours and a playful air.
Journey Oracle - Another feminine deck, but with a hint of Steampunk and plenty of attitude :)
Gaian Tarot - I love the artwork and the nature- and community-based ethos - an intelligent and thoughtful deck.
Oracle of the Shapeshifters - Incredibly cute images, but with some real depth.
Tarot of the Sidhe - Emily's art is stunning, and I love the pagan spirituality it embodies, as well as the sense of magical, spiritual exploration.
Tarot of the Silicon Dawn - This deck is just completely innovative and out there - nothing else like it on the market!
Wheel of the Year Tarot - This choice may surprise many, as it isn't a deck that has gotten much attention.  I love the pagan symbolism and the cartoon-like artwork.  It just speaks to me. 
Wildwood Tarot - A very different, nature-based deck with stunning artwork by Will Worthington.  The proud successor of the Greenwood, I far prefer its more realistic imagery, while the depth of scientific and environmental thought remains.

Most anticipated decks for 2012:

Alice Tarot
Gilded Tarot Royale
Steampunk Tarot

I'd love to hear what your favourite decks have been this year, and why.  And which ones you're looking forward to most next year...

5 comments:

  1. I have bought three new decks this year: Sidhe, Prairie and Gaian. Though Gaian was the one I waited and waited for, and Sidhe was the one that totally blew me away when I first looked at it (and still does every time I look at it),the deck that is the most readable and natural feeling for me is Prairie Tarot. I love it very much, it reminds me of my dad and my childhood and my homeland. It's like my very own cultural mythos--forget the Celts and the Druids and all that. We've got our own Jugglers and Earth Mothers right there on the edge of the mythic Wild West. That means a lot to me. It's like a validation. So I choose Prairie Tarot. :) I don't know of any 2012 tarots I'm looking forward to at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not too sure of the chops of the Pecto site...6. The Pamela Cole Smith honorary categories :)
    Thinking those lists, like yours, is one person's list rather than a compilation of many votes.
    All I know for sure is I LOVE tarot!
    Thanks for sharing your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silicon Dawn for best of 2011, for me, hands down. Very innovative, great art, just love it.

    Very much looking forward to the Llewelyn Steampunk tarot for 2012. Like, REALLY looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice list!

    I haven't purchased many decks the past several months (on purpose! but also for financial reasons)...but let me see.

    I liked:

    The Enchanted Map Oracle (I got that one a few months ago, that was sort of my last purchase)

    I like the Cosmic Tarot that I won off of Marina's site, but I haven't used it a ton yet.

    For some reason I am drawing a blank and can't remember any other decks I got, although I know I got at least a few more.

    One deck I thought I'd love but don't really feel that strongly one way or another is the Tarot of the Sweet Twilight. Apparently I am not a fan of the dark/cute style--who knew? I mean, as far as reading with it.

    Oh, duh! I just remembered two decks I got this year that I love and I have used many times: Housewives Tarot and Tea Leaf Fortune Cards. Those are by far my favorites. I guess I'm more drawn to the earthy/vintage/funky decks. Although it does just depend on my mood.

    Massive Tarot Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carla,

    Yes, I think the Prairie Tarot is a lovely deck, but it just doesn't speak to me the way it does to you. I think it's great that there is such a variety of decks out there, to appeal to personal history and preferences :) As for 2012, I look forward to being surprised ;D

    Hi Sharyn,

    I know what you mean, the PECTO site doesn't seem to give much info or connect to anything... As you say, though, the main thing is the joy in all things tarot!

    Hi Scribbling,

    Yes, I couldn't leave the Silicon Dawn off my list, as you say it is just such a different concept, and beautiful with it! And I am also a huge fan of Barbara Moore's Steampunk Tarot - with an image of the High Priestess from a competition she ran to prove it. Must get that framed soon!

    Hi MM,

    I really like the Enchanted Map Oracle, too, but not as much as the other two Oracles I put in. Gotta draw the line somewhere, right ;D As for the Housewives, it is a classic. Still, I adore the Sweet Twilight, too. Maybe it'll grow on you...

    Hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete