Thursday, 26 January 2012

Beakers and Bunsens

OK, so the title is a bit of a liberty, as there are no apparent Bunsen burners in this image.  Still, today's card from the Steampunk Tarot (Drengsen, 2010) hints at the scientific.

In the foreground, we see a woman's body with her head outside of the frame.  She pours a dark liquid from one silver jug into another.  Her costume is elegant if old-fashioned, yet there is a cartoony tattoo on her arm - a strange mix of old and new.  The background is marked off in grids, and there are scientific objects - a valve-like beaker and other glassware.  I like the association of scientific measuring out of ingredients, which has a very (al)chemical feel to it.  This fits well with my understanding of Temperance, where a carefully thought out balance of different elements or factors is necessary: the right mix to create the desired outcome.

Today, the mix I must get right is a balance of work, exercise, study, shopping and, if I can, editing a video I recorded yesterday.  Plus spending time with my family.  If I get the right balance, it'll feel like I've had a productive, positive day :)

I am grateful for having a varied life.

No comments:

Post a Comment