Sunday, 1 January 2012

Camouflage

Happy 2012 everyone!  On this New Year's Day, the bizarre Tarot of Metamorphosis (Lo Scarabeo, 2005) offers us a rather eery version of the 7 of Swords.

Thinking of traditional notions of trickery or deception, I notice one "person" hidden in the foliage at the centre of the card, and possibly another hidden behind the tree creature.  So, ideas of camouflage, and hiding in plain sight.  There also seems to be an all-seeing eye at the bottom of the card.  Makes me wonder, in a given situation, who sees what...

I also notice that the tree person is sustained by branches that act like veins and arteries, with no obvious bones.  This suggests we think about what sustains us and what holds us up or holds us together.

There are certainly some things I tend to hide from others.  Today, though, the friend I have known for longest - since I was 4 years old - is coming to visit.  She isn't someone I feel the need to hide much from, and she definitely counts among those I feel helps sustain me, with her sense of humour and her sound advice, and her willingness to listen and share.  We shall do some New Year's readings together and chat and laugh - perfect!

I am grateful that not all old acquaintances are forgotten.

2 comments:

  1. All the best to you and yours this dawning 2011~

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to you, Sharyn! Hope the year to come brings you well-being :)

    ReplyDelete