Thursday, 19 January 2012

Love Letter?

Today's card from the Oracle of Visions (Ciro Marchetti, 2011) certainly has romance going for it!

A woman in a purple, bustled dress faces left, a wax-sealed letter in one hand and a red rose in the other.  Behind her, a flock of black swans (or geese?) fly.

The juxtaposition of the  letter and rose with the woman's dark clothes and demeanour, and the birds flying off, makes me think of planning or announcing an elopement.  Although there is love and passion involved, there is also sadness at leaving something behind.  Of course, in this day and age not many people feel the need to elope, but the point is more about the things we do for love, and the price we may pay for them.  Another interpretation might be that this is a Dear John (or Jane) letter, which once again would hint at the price of love, and the choices we make.  Or, of course, it could just be telling us to expect or to send a message to someone.

Today, this card makes me think about competing loves: my Dear One and Big Boy.  Of course, they are not always in competition.  However, tomorrow my Dear One and I leave for a weekend away, without our son.  It's only the second time we've done this since he was born, and I'm a little nervous, despite leaving him with loving people who know him well.  We need a break,  and I think it generally a good idea for parents to take some time to be a couple, not just parents.  Still, I worry about how BB will feel, and whether, like a cat when their humans return from holiday, he will make his displeasure known upon our return...

I am grateful for some time to relax, unwind and be with the love of my life.

5 comments:

  1. That's an interesting card and take. The woman is ready to leave, she leaves a rose for her son and a list of his favourite things, allergies and a contact number in the envelope for those looking after him. She looks elegant, because she is going away and is taking time for herself and partner, but she is dressed in dark colours, reminding her of who and what she is leaving behind. A nice card for today, Chloe. Maybe the letter is a simple token of love. Enjoyed reading this post with my tea this morning. Hope you and DO have a lovely time. I am sure BB will enjoy his time too and indeoendance away from you two, even if he doesn't let on, hehe.

    PLN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time, Chloë! You deserve it!

    I like Prince Le Normand's take. It makes sense. Don't be sad! Even if he gets cranky it's still good for him to get used to you going away from time to time. I know that feeling, though. I feel that way when I leave my daughter. We haven't gone anywhere overnight away from her, but someday we will, more than likely.

    Anyway--hugs to you and see you on the flip side!

    Huggos,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you two!! The break will do all three of you worlds of good.

    Rob and I eloped, are coming up on 42 years, and have never regretted eloping once. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely card. I wasn't aware Ciro had another deck out.

    Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi PLN,

    Loved your take on the card, and thanks for the reminder re BB's allergies. Last night I typed up all the emergency numbers his carers might need, and a few last minute notes. So, here I sit in a hotel, getting ready for a swim and a steam - lovely! As for BB and his independence, he said bye bye to me before I even had to leave! Ah well...

    Chloë

    Hi MM,

    I shall keep in mind that it's good for all of us to experience a bit of separation, so long as there are plenty of hugs before and after :)

    Huggos to you, too,
    Chloë

    Hi Sharyn,

    Ooh, you actually eloped! Was it romantic? Just a way to avoid the family? Or to avoid the hassles and fuss of a big wedding? Sorry, my curiosity is getting the better of me

    Hi Cher,

    Yes, this deck came out about a year ago, now. Lovely images, and his first excursion out of the tarot-zone ;D

    Wishing you all a lovely weekend, too!

    Chloë

    ReplyDelete