Friday, 6 January 2012

Snailmaid

OK, today's image from the Tarot of Metamorphosis is almost Dali-esque in it's surreality...

A snail woman stands at the edge of the sea, her shell decorated with the symbols traditionally found on the RWS Wheel.  The woman holds a huge daisy, and to the side and behind her are a skull and an apple.  Behind her, a ram-headed male statue has trees growing out of his shoulders.  A ship sails in the distance.

This card makes me think of a number of things.  Firstly, the fact of being on the seashore puts her in a liminal place, like the woman in the DruidCraft version of this card.  Secondly, I hear phrases or sayings that may relate to the Wheel archetype, for example: "going at a snail's pace", "the sands of time", "that ship has sailed", "gone but not forgotten", and "hope springs eternal".  I guess it's not the phrases so much as their juxtaposition that hints at the changeability of the Wheel.  Thirdly, there's the comparison of the live female and the dead (or is he?) statue, and then the phrase "this too shall pass" pops into my head.  A very chatty card, somehow...

Today, we celebrate the Wheel turning for my step-grandmother.  Another year of her life, another chance to celebrate and be with family, and what does the year ahead hold?  I'm very conscious of the different places that we are all at in our lives.  I am the eldest of my cousins, and with the eldest child, though the other great-grandkids followed along in quick succession.  Of six cousins, four of us have kids, and the other two are still at school/studying.  Well, two of us with kids are also studying, go figure...  I'm not sure I can put my sense of the ebb and flow of life into words, but it is interesting to try to feel it, especially when surrounded by these like-and-yet-different others.


I am grateful for occasions that help mark life's patterns, and allow family to come together.

2 comments:

  1. I can't quite explain why, but I love this card! Definitely a woman who will NOT be rushed or march to the beat of anyone's drum but her own! (maybe that's why huh? lol)

    I am so happy that you had such a nice time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Krysten,

    That's a lovley perspective on this card. And I agree, I like a woman like that! :)

    Hope you're doing well,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete