Thursday, 9 February 2012

Brigid

Last week was Imbolc, sometimes known as Brigid's day, and here she is, from the Goddess Oracle (U.S. Games, 2006).

I love this depiction of Brigid as a triple Goddess.  A bright fire burns from her red hair, and two more flames spring up from the hands of the central figure, who also wears a healing herb amulet pouch.  To one side we have her inspiration in the form of music, to the other she enjoys the scent of flowers, representative of spring.  Behind her, an oceanic blue background that suggests the sky, yet also points to Brigid's connection to sacred, healing waters. 

Reading up on her, I find it curious that Brigid was a triple Goddess, with two "sisters" also called variations on Brigid.  I had thought that the triple Goddess aspect was to capture her as maiden, mother and crone, not as three women of about the same age.  Perhaps it's because there's the idea that no one person could be and do so much...

Today, I call on Brigid in her healing aspect.  I had a nightmare last night which pointed out to me an area where I desperately need emotional healing.  I shall take it to my therapist today, and maybe do a spread on it as well.


I am grateful for Brigid's healing waters.

3 comments:

  1. I love Brigid! I have a celtic pendant somewhere (or did I give it away? I can't remember) that I wore for a long time. In the description I saw, she was patron of the hearth, lots of good energy for women and mothers. So it's a great one!

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mythicalmatters/3975421827/in/photostream/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya MM,

    I dunno, there's something a little creepy about the eyes on that pendant for my tastes. Still, it does feel pretty celtic, which not all the images of Brigid "get" in the same way.

    She is a great goddess. She's a goddess of healing, of the forge and crafting, too - a great one for artists :)

    Bright Blessings of Brigid,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true--I love how multi-faceted Brigid is.

    Haha. I liked your comment about the creepiness. I can totally see what you mean. I suppose if I'm wearing it I can't see how creepy it is...

    Brigid Blessings Back-atcha,
    MM

    ReplyDelete