Saturday, 4 February 2012

Demeter

This week I will be drawing from my favourite Goddess deck, the Goddess Oracle (U.S. Games, 2006) by Amy-Sophia Marashinsky and Hrana Janto.

For this first draw we meet Demeter.  The story of Demeter and Persephone is well-known: how Persephone was abducted by Hades and how Demeter refused to let the earth grow until her daughter was returned to her.  Demeter represents a mother's love, but also someone whose strong emotions fuel and drive her, who won't give up, and who trusts her instincts.

I love the symbolism here.  Not only does Demeter have corn decorating and growing from her dress to represent her earth mother aspect, but she also holds a pomegranate - allusion to Persephone and the importance of seasons.  She also grasps a flame, a light in the darkness for when she retreated into a cave, refusing to come out until her daughter had been returned to her.  For me, this symbolises the strength of her spirit and passion, but also the need for retreat to connect with our feelings.  Finally, a snake wraps around her neck, symbol of transformation and healing.  When Demeter's emotions were respected she healed the world.

I take this card today as a recommendation to spend some time in silence, getting in contact with my emotions and honouring them.  In the bustle of the work week it can be hard to make time for silent contemplation.  However, the situation yesterday, which I was able to resolve well, reminded me of the importance of meditation.  I vow to meditate today (it'll be the first time this year - slacker!)


I am grateful for the clarity of mind and emotion that comes from meditation.

No comments:

Post a Comment