Saturday, 25 February 2012

Holding Tight

This week I will be drawing from the Vampire's Tarot of the Eternal Night (Lo Scarabeo, 2009).  With artwork by Davide Corsi and a companion book by Barbara Moore, this is a distinctly dark and creepy deck, yet with a lot of depth.

The first card to show its face is the Four of Pentacles.  The creepy guy with soulless eyes is a warning of what can become of us if we focus too much on clinging to the material.  I notice the way one elbow of his coat is ripped - he holds so tightly to his pentacle that he has no energy to notice such things.   He sits on a throne, yet looks deeply uncomfortable.  Material possessions will not keep us warm at night, and closing our hearts to others leads only to a cold and empty life.

Of course, this is the darkest reading of the card.  Perhaps he holds onto that pentacle precisely because his coat is ripped - he needs to watch his finances carefully in a time of hardship.  One of the things I like about the companion book is that it gives a dark and light interpretation for every card, and an additional human interpretation for the Majors - three different perspectives to ponder.

As for me, today I think this speaks to my need to husband my physical resources - most notably sleep.  When I'm with the girls we tend to stay up til all hours chatting, but I still wake up early.  So, I need to make sure I get enough sleep, otherwise I'll get home more exhausted than when I left.  Big Boy has been getting up before 5am every morning for the last two weeks, so I should make the most of not having to get up with him!


I am grateful for an uninterrupted night's sleep.

4 comments:

  1. at first glance that reminded me of voldemort :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The creepy guy with soulless eyes is a warning of what can become of us if we focus too much on clinging to the material." ooh....yeah. This card definitely takes me in that specific direction with the 4P interpretation, I almost feel there is no room for any other view - I can't seem to put a positive spin on a face like that!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the Underworld head vampire. Scary. But I liked your interpretation on the ripped coat as well. Sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonkers,

    I certainly see what you mean! Maybe Voldemort was based around vampires, as these certainly fit older descriptions - more original Dracula than Twilight :)

    Hi Little Red,

    I dunno, in best British style, surely we should be able to feel for the underdog? Which in some ways the vampire is, unable to do many things humans can do, cut off from contact, and hunted down and killed when discovered... Still, I have to agree, he's not one of your dashing vampires!

    Hi Arwen,

    Ooh, can't wait to see the latest installment of Underworld! Sweet dreams to you, to, hope you had a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete