Monday, 27 February 2012

Solitary Predator

Another extremely creepy figure from the Vampire's Tarot of the Eternal Night (Lo Scarabeo, 2009).

This image is very different to the traditional Nine of Pentacles card.  Instead of a woman in a garden, surrounded by beauty and luxury, we have a creepy, bald, sharp-earred figure inside a tomb, and a ghost-like woman in white floating around outside in the cemetery.  The sense I get is that the woman is being called to the vampire, and she is his garden, so to speak: the abundance which he has invested his time and skills in cultivating, allowing him a sense of well-being.  Still, when I think of some traditional Nine of Pentacles keywords, such as independent and solitary, they both fit and seem strange.  The vampire is solitary, yet needs others for sustenance, independent of the daylight world, yet tightly bound to it.

As for me, today I hope that the work I did last week will allow me to coast a bit.  I finished my essay well within deadline, and just need to print it out and hand it in.  Which is just as well, as my weekend away wasn't very restful, though a lot of fun ;)

I am grateful to be able to relax a bit.

3 comments:

  1. That's quite a beautiful deck, although I won't be getting it (wish list endless) I do enjoy seeing you work with it. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see her as a feu follet for the Vampyr. He knows if he answers her call, he will be destroyed. But in that destruction, he will be renewed as well. An interesting 9 of Coins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Monica,

    Have to say, I find it more creepy than beautiful (for that I'd look to Ian Daniels' Tarot of Vampyres). Still, it is certainly an interesting and well-executed deck :) Will look forward to seeing which decks do make it onto your shopping list!

    Hi Arwen,

    Oh, that's an interesting take on it. I saw him calling to her, but I guess in these things it can work both ways! Thanks for adding that to the pot.

    Chloë

    ReplyDelete