Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Spiritual Knowledge

Today's Token of Light from Orna Ben-Shoshan is titled: "Making a living with spiritual knowledge."

At first, I will admit I was a little non-plussed by the image.  What does a guy on a roof with weird growths coming out of his head and a stick he's waving amongst red ribbons have to do with the title?  However, the more I sank into the image, the more sense it made to me. 

He is dressed in the white of spiritual purity, the colour of all other colours combined in light.  The red ribbons form a sort of globe, like the foundations of a new world he is creating by directing his will through the wand in his hand.  And he sits on a roof, so with an entire house supporting him.  Whether seeing the house as a symbol of the self, as Jung did, or as a sign of prosperity, both play into the idea of abundance or wholeness.

Orna attributes this Token to the hebrew letter Zayin, associated with the element of air, and with the Lovers card in tarot.  Here, then, it is about the choices we make, and being able to choose something that is both spiritual and materially rewarding.  Whether this card recommends that you try to get advice from such a person, or become one yourself, will depend on the context. 

Orna says that: "This aspect of the letter Zayin also indicates the need to dedicate a regular time each day to practice meditation and spirituality in a peaceful and nice place that will reload your energies."  Always good advice, and something I'm trying to do.

Today, my focus is definitely on these ideas, as I try to complete my essay for this term of my counselling course.  I will need to attain my Masters if I hope to make a living at this.  I have also been meditating and chanting more regularly, and will try to post about that soon :)

I am grateful for the possibility of focusing on a spiritually fulfilling career.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely blog post - you are very good at making sense of what seem at first to be fairly random images!

    Now - get on with your essay!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali,

    It's one of the things that I like best about doing a Card of the Day like this - it makes me focus and think about the images more than if they just popped up in a reading with other stuff going on.

    Now, I'll get on with my essay! *salutes forhead military style*

    Chloë xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am growing more and more fascinated by this deck. Thanks so much for sharing this. I love the way you synthesize things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Arwen,

    You might want to check out Orna's other decks if you like the art. The Tokens are nice, I like the size and shape of them, but to get a good view of the art a larger card might work better. You may see what I mean if you take a look at one of the videos I did with them - they're about Oreo size. Just a thought... :)

    ReplyDelete