Sunday, 25 March 2012

Daily Bread

I love the depth of this card from the Maat Tarot (Julie Cuccia-Watts, 2006).

In traditional versions of the Seven of Pentacles (Coins) we see someone waiting for plants to grow.  Here, this idea is taken several steps further.  In the background, people harvest golden fields of wheat.  Closer in we see a woman baking bread in an oven, and in the foreground sit both a loaf of fresh bread and a bunch of corn sheaves.  Overlaid, we see seven coins, which represent the seven sacred directions of Native American (and pagan) tradition - North, East, South, West, Above, Below, and Within.

What I see here is the process of converting hard work into something not merely financially rewarding, but more deeply nourishing.  Part of that is a recognition of the different parts that make up the whole of any system.  Another part is about the time and patience that this may require.  Finally, Julie also says that it's about the sacredness of everything, work included.


Today, it is my role as part of a family that I see here.  My MIL is coming to visit, and so I have been preparing food and organising picnic plans.  I will try to remember to enjoy it, and see the sacred even in doing the dishes ;)

I am grateful for the nourishment offered by family.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great card, and the first one to interest me in Maat Tarot. Now I have to take a closer look at it. Uh oh! You know what that meanss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla,

    Hmm, I guess that means it's a dangerous and slippery path down the enabling road ;) Seriously, though, while it seems this isn't a deck for everyone - some people get hung up on the lunar calendar, others have issues with the childbirth cards (go figure) - I think Julie's art is simply stunning and there's a great depth to the symbolism she uses. I love that the deck is multi-cultural, and there are no borders. The app is very good, and the deck is beautiful. Hers was the first deck I ever chose for myself (after the RWS which I was told to buy for a course), and I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I did a little reading on it and I don't want to work that hard AT ALL. So I ordered Cosmic instead. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that's a shame! I don't think you actually need to get your head around the lunar calendar to work with this deck - the images stand for themselves just perfectly. And if you get the app, the necessary info is just a click away...

    Anyhow, which Cosmic did you order? :)

    ReplyDelete